Free VCA exam of your choice from VMWARE

Comments

• epcgepcg Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just took the VCA-WM passed with a 320. I guess that's my magic number with these exams. Going to try to take the cloud before they go back to making us pay for them.

But these exams should be between $20 and $50. At $120 I would tell everyone to run from them that's just to much for a cert that means nothing right now.

Yes whatthehell you can take all 3 exams as many times as you want for free. No waiting period at all. I waited a few days after I failed the dcv went back over some of the video and my notes and retook it. Great to hear then if its till Oct 15. I want have to rush to do the cloud now.
  • evenmeevenme Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just passed on VCA DCV, score of 360. I guess there is many questions in the tests there isn't in the course, but it's ok. Next: VCA Cloud.
  • cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Started the VCA-Cloud CBT. Its totally blowing my mind so far. I cant figure out why we dont have this already at work. I am assuming its cause of cost cause I now SRM is expensive. But holy crap this sounds like it would make deploying customer builds way to easy. We are a SaaS provider with 3 data centers and this just seems like a no brainer.
  • ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Somewhere, in a back room at VMware:

"How can we get a bunch of IT nerds to sit through several three hour sales presentations?"

"Give them an open book test at the end and call it a certification."
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for all the great information.
  • EcioEcio Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    Somewhere, in a back room at VMware:

"How can we get a bunch of IT nerds to sit through several three hour sales presentations?"

"Give them an open book test at the end and call it a certification."

"Great! So they'll become our evangelists inside their company and maybe even outside!" icon_lol.gif
    No experience no reading just basically guessing on the exam. Scored a 240 something. I won't try it again, just thought I would post my score.
  • muneebkalathilmuneebkalathil Member Posts: 148
    VCA may not great for those who have , VCP , VCAP , MCSE etc etc. ...
    But its a really good start for someone whose is starting with virtualization & cloud and those who dont have any certs :)
    VCA may not great for those who have , VCP , VCAP , MCSE etc etc. ...
    But its a really good start for someone whose is starting with virtualization & cloud and those who dont have any certs :)

sure VCA-DCV is useless if you have VCP, but if you have VCP and you dont know anything of vCloud or View etc.. it could be a way to say: I know well datacenter virtualization technique and I know - enough to know what we're talkin about - of Cloud and Workforce mobility technologies.
    And maybe it's ok for a MCSE, like, I know Windows Server and have a broad but not deep understanding of VMware virtualization solutions.

Anyway, as already said, it's free, I get them and then move to other certs I'm thinkin about ...
    Exactly, if I was new to the certification world and I would read and review and take all 3 of these certification rather than spending money on A+ or something else.
  • toptektoptek Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The code is only giving me 50% off. Are you guys using vca501?
  • redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Toptek,

As of Friday, when I took VCA-DCV, there was a 50% off already when scheduling the test for the VCA launch campaign, applied when scheduling online through PearsonVUE. I just verified that this is still the case, and that VCA501 still works. You enter VCA501 when at the page asking for your credit card information by clicking the link that says "enter voucher/promo code".

Best of luck.

EDIT: Also:
    N2IT wrote: »
    No experience no reading just basically guessing on the exam. Scored a 240 something. I won't try it again, just thought I would post my score.
    Well played, buddy, well played.

However, as someone who's rather bored with my current field, taking a break to get my head above water and see what is going on in other hot markets is interesting. I'm not going to up-sell the nearly negligible value of the certification, but I did put -DCV down as 4 hours of type A credits for Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery for the CISSP. I also told all my minions to take it.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Took the a cloud exam and failed. It seemed like a difficult exam to me. I am not really familiar with VMware besides knowing what Vsphere, a center and a couple of the features are.

All I did was watch the CBT yesterday. Took the exam today and was taken aback. I felt like I was completely clueless of the products. Guess I'll go through the course again, view the blueprint and the technology videos recommended.

This is obviously not a technical certification but as a designer or technologist, it has values and isn't easy. Hope to retake the exam tomorrow then move onto the other two exams.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Getting ready to schedule the DCV. Since I work mid-shifts for a NOC and have to sleep during the day, I want to figure out the best time to take the exam. As such, out of curiosity, how long are the exams timed for? Knowing that will help me better adjust my limited schedule. Thanks in advance.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • SpacedSpaced Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone taken the mobility test? And if so, how difficult is it compared to the Cloud exam? At first glance I would rate it as the easiest, but all of these tests were more difficult than I would have expected for a free test on essentially understanding the product suite and the basics of virtualization and clouds. I have to get back to my WGU studies, but I just can't seem to walk away from a free cert! :P Besides, as a noob to the subject, I found them very interesting (and my current CIW Foundations class mind numbingly boring). VMware products seem awesome, I don't understand why everyone isn't using them....so I guess their clever marketing ploy worked on me. :p
    WGU: BSIT - Network Administration
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Getting ready to schedule the DCV. Since I work mid-shifts for a NOC and have to sleep during the day, I want to figure out the best time to take the exam. As such, out of curiosity, how long are the exams timed for? Knowing that will help me better adjust my limited schedule. Thanks in advance.

The blueprint says you have 75minutes, plus 30minutes if English is not your native language (I don't think it's your case, it was mine so I had 1:45 min).
    I did VCA-DCV in 15-20 min and VCA-CLOUD in around 20-25 min, so I think the 75min limit is even too much, and you can assume you can do it in less than 30 minutes if you are prepared
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just took the VCA-DCV Test for the second time and failed with a 277 ( the first time it was 270 ) .

I cant for the life of me understand how i failed it the second time - so annoyed .

I completed the CBT Modules and took my notes well and made sure i understood all the concepts but not sure where it went wrong icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

Plan to retake it by this week and for a change will move on to the VCA-WM for now

Good thing that the free exams are available until the 15th Oct.
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ecio wrote: »
    The blueprint says you have 75minutes, plus 30minutes if English is not your native language (I don't think it's your case, it was mine so I had 1:45 min).
    I did VCA-DCV in 15-20 min and VCA-CLOUD in around 20-25 min, so I think the 75min limit is even too much, and you can assume you can do it in less than 30 minutes if you are prepared
    Thank you, Ecio, for the reply. I somehow overlooked the part where the blueprint said 75 minutes. I guess when you are in a rush, things get missed. lol
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Finally passed VCA-DCV 300 out of 300, lol

God showed me grace today :)
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • GosU-TecHGosU-TecH Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just found at about this earlier today and skimmed through the videos and sat the VCA-Cloud. I have my VCP5-DV and work with vSphere daily, but have never touched vCloud or the Cloud side of the VMware so it was a good opportunity to dig in a bit. Was relieved to see I passed with a 360! If the opportunity presents itself I might be interested in checking out the WM exam, but having never touched View and only labbing with it a little I may need to study a bit.
  • Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    They extended all of this until October 15th. I'll probably bang out all 3 VCA certs just because theyre free
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    I started watching the WM video today. It makes perfect sense, especially since I already did the DCV stuff. Will take the test in a few hours.

I flunked Cloud with a 270 (iirc) my first try, I'll rewatch the video and try again after WM.

edit: Passed WM with a 340, took Cloud again right after, just for the heck of it. Failed again with a 277, so if I watch the video again, I'm sure I'll pass :)
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    I flunked Cloud with a 270 (iirc) my first try, I'll rewatch the video and try again after WM.

edit: Passed WM with a 340, took Cloud again right after, just for the heck of it. Failed again with a 277, so if I watch the video again, I'm sure I'll pass :)

Congrats. I'm in the same boat for Cloud. I feel the same way. It's a lot of information. I'm sure the best thing to do is to take the exams right after the CBT (or take notes). If you're not at all familiar with VMware's products, it can get a little confusing. Fabric or Fabric hiporic (sp) are terms that can sort of bleed together.
    According to this blogpost
    How to become a VMware Certified Associate for free - Eric Sloof - NTPRO.NL
    there's another free code (VCA13ICS) that should expire at the end of October (I've not tried it)
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Passed VCA Cloud last night! Woot!
    That test was a pain!
    I watched all vids, took very good notes, and still had to take the test more than once!
    My advice to those who want to take it --- watch the vids well, take great notes, and then make sure to read the questions well the first time! The wording can be poor, and some questions had terminology listed a bit different.
    The problem is the test is 50 questions and you have 75 minutes, so again, make sure to take your time and read the question well the first time to save precious test taking time.
    You can take this immediately again if you fail the first time, but it can be draining prepping and taking these tests, so try to nail it the first time!
    Good luck!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Thanks for posting this!
    The VCA-NV doesn't appear to be available in the US -- anyone know when it will be?
    Any thoughts on the Workforce mobility test? I know its, free, but it seems like the best knowledge to get would be for DCV and Cloud, correct?
    Any thoughts on this?
    Ecio wrote: »
    According to this blogpost
    How to become a VMware Certified Associate for free - Eric Sloof - NTPRO.NL
    there's another free code (VCA13ICS) that should expire at the end of October (I've not tried it)
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
    It depends what you mean with "the best knowledge to get", I know "cloud" is a buzzword very "appreciated" nowadays, but don't forget that many enterprises have not moved yet to cloud while they've been already using Datacenter virtualization AND Virtual Desktop technologies for years.
    What I mean is, IMHO, the adoption of virtualization technologies in Enterprise is DCV > WM > CLOUD, so I won't discard the whole WM stuff..

NB I think VCA-NV is not available anywhere, we just have to wait and hope it will be released before the end of this promo (I think SDN could be "the next thing" even though, as usual, we'll see how long it takes to be adopted on the enterprise side)
    Talking about cloud, I've just found that UDEMY is having a promotion with many courses for 10$, and one of them is for preparing for the Amazon Web Services Solution Architect certification: https://www.udemy.com/aws-certified-solutions-architect/?couponCode=DEAL1102&dtcode=93g5mwfh It ends this night pacific time.
    I know the starting price was not very high (50 bucks) but 10$ is not that bad, I was thinking about buying it but I've too much stuff and I think I should prioritize something else that could be more easily appreciated here in Europe (such as ITIL Foundation or CCNA or MCSA or something security related. or Linux+ or VCP or... :D)
  • SpacedSpaced Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for sharing Ecio! I bought it! Although, this does not look anything like the VCAs - this looks to be a little more in depth. I don't have time to start it now, but I don't see an expiration on the class so hopefully I can squeeze it in soon....or at least attempt. The subject is interesting even if it wouldn't add much to my resume, although I don't think it would hurt.
    WGU: BSIT - Network Administration
    Spaced wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing Ecio! I bought it! Although, this does not look anything like the VCAs - this looks to be a little more in depth. I don't have time to start it now, but I don't see an expiration on the class so hopefully I can squeeze it in soon....or at least attempt. The subject is interesting even if it wouldn't add much to my resume, although I don't think it would hurt.

Keep in mind that this is just a course about that stuff, in order to certify you need to sit the exam (and I think it will cost 150$)

Afaik there's no expiration for the class and sometimes on Udemy teachers even update their courses and you got that for free if you have bought the course (I've seen it happen to the Chris Bryant's CCNA course that I'm tempted to do, it's just 44$ and he is updating it for the new CCENT/CCNA v2 version of the exams