CEHv8 = Pwned. ; )

TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
So, I knocked out the CEHv8 exam this morning with a 92% (which means I only answered 10 wrong out of 125) icon_thumright.gif. The exam wasn't overwhelming, but I must say the wording of the questions was rather poor. I read over each question 3-4 times before I answered, and that seems to do the trick. The time allotted for the exam is 4 hours, I sat it in 1 hour (including reviewing any questions that I flagged). All in all, a fairly tough exam but definitely passable if you have some hands-on experience with Pen-Testing.

If you guys have any questions feel free to shoot, I will post my study-notes as soon as I can.

Next up....the one...the only...the CISSP! icon_lol.gif
* Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
* Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
* Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration

Comments

• MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • horusthesunhorusthesun Member Posts: 289
    Congrats!

Iam still conflicted due to cost...... C)PTE vs. C|EH.

what did you use to study and for how long?
  • TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!

Books -->Sybex: Official Study Guide for CEH and Hacking: The Art of Exploitation v2
    Labbing --> I used BackTrack, Kali, python, C, metasploit, nessus, nmap, snort and a slew of script kiddie tools.

I also have several years of hands-on experience, so this helped as well.

Honestly, I took about a month of hard studying/labbing to prepare.

The cost was 600 total (500.00 for the exam and 100.00 for the eligibility fee).
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!!

Shame to see that they haven't taken all those outrageous costs and fees and applied them to a proper localization or better re-write...

I agree, 4 hours is overkill.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • horusthesunhorusthesun Member Posts: 289
    TechGuy215 wrote: »
    Books -->Sybex: Official Study Guide for CEH and Hacking: The Art of Exploitation v2
    Labbing --> I used BackTrack, Kali, python, C, metasploit, nessus, nmap, snort and a slew of script kiddie tools.

I also have several years of hands-on experience, so this helped as well.

Honestly, I took about a month of hard studying/labbing to prepare.

The cost was 600 total (500.00 for the exam and 100.00 for the eligibility fee).

thanks!

I will look into those books
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gif
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! Do you really need 2 years of information security related experience or they just suggest you have that experience?
    Congrats on the pass! Do you really need 2 years of information security related experience or they just suggest you have that experience?

They will verify with current/previous employers to make sure you have the experience. It is a requirement to be eligible to take the exam.
  • ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!

I would take the C)PTE... half the cost $300 vs $500 test and $100 'application/steal your money' fee)and worth twice as much. (IMO)
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Well, so much for the ECC saying that they had completely rewritten the CEHv8 questions for quality. Maybe it's just a new question pool from CEHv7 and not better editing. I'm interested in seeing your study notes to understand how to tackle studying for CEHv8.

Congratulations!
  • WagnaardWagnaard Member Posts: 124
    I'd love to see your study notes ttoo!
  • L.qL.q Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Would you post your CEH note? I'm interested to see how other people prepare for the test. I am about to take it by the end of January
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • sckalathsckalath Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know they aren't TechGuy215's notes, but here's a post I wrote about the exam: Passed the CEH exam yesterday - ' OR 1=1 --

Nail all that stuff and you should be fine.
    I promise to post them soon! Been kinda busy with work lately.
  • bassiabassia Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats man :) and don't forget to share any helpful materials you own :)
  • radzradz Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TechGuy215 wrote: »
    They will verify with current/previous employers to make sure you have the experience. It is a requirement to be eligible to take the exam.

It is a requirement, but not a absolute requirement. You can still take the exam with no experience but you must take a official EC-Council course from a school. https://cert.eccouncil.org/application-process-eligibility.html