Rack rentals for switch?

mitch179mitch179 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does anyone have a recommendations for some rack rentals for switch?

obviously the cheaper the better :)

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    INE is the most popular rack rental source. There are plenty of cheaper (typically, less refined) options if you Google.
  • mitch179mitch179 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cheers,

I'll dig through a few of the ones google comes up with, just wanted to avoid paying for one that was no good icon_sad.gif
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    INE's pricing is not bad at all. I am more than likely going to use INE's rack for my switch studies. It should still end up being A LOT cheaper than buying the physical equipment.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Buying 3 switches from ebay then selling them back when you're done is the equivalent of a rack rental, except you get to use it whenever you want.
    You can get working 100Mb 3560s for about $150 a pop these days. I can't see how rack rentals are cheaper.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I spent <$50 to rent two 3550s and two 2950s for my switch exam for about a month. I didn't have dedicated access but I was able to access the rack 80%+ of the time when I needed to access it. I suspect that was a smaller outlay than buying and re-selling four devices, shipping, cables, power, etc. A good place to begin is to work out your equipment needs. I didn't use INE, but rather a cheaper site. Which meant wasting a few hours finding it and figuring it out.

I liked that I had next-day access and avoided lost time for missing/faulty cables/components.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Buying 3 switches from ebay then selling them back when you're done is the equivalent of a rack rental, except you get to use it whenever you want.
    You can get working 100Mb 3560s for about $150 a pop these days. I can't see how rack rentals are cheaper.

INE's average price is ~$4 per 3hr session. That's ~$130 for 100 hours of labbing. You may / may not need that much. That's about the average cost of maybe 1 device physically.

I like the rack rentals method due to its ease of use. I can set something up quickly and start hammering through the commands. This is also why I am such a fan of GNS3. I can lab for hours and hours doing many different types of labs quickly.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    I spent <$50 to rent two 3550s and two 2950s for my switch exam for about a month. I didn't have dedicated access but I was able to access the rack 80%+ of the time when I needed to access it. I suspect that was a smaller outlay than buying and re-selling four devices, shipping, cables, power, etc. A good place to begin is to work out your equipment needs. I didn't use INE, but rather a cheaper site. Which meant wasting a few hours finding it and figuring it out.

I liked that I had next-day access and avoided lost time for missing/faulty cables/components.

Care to share what site you used?
    I just logged into my INE account and noticed I have 50 rack rental tokens, I guess it was a promo or something, that should get me started at least.