Failed CCNA 640-802 today!!

WonTonDonWonTonDon Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
Failed CCNA 802 today!!! icon_sad.gif 590/825

Started studying for the exam on 5th Sept. After no exposure to CCNA material for over 6 years. Do you think I left too little time to study for the exam? I was hoping to do the exam before it expired.

Used Lammle's Sybex book
Past CCNA exam papers for reference

Any ideas on what I should do, how much more time I should invest?

Unfortunate to have simulator questions which i think i flunked on badly!

Thanks!

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Obviously if you didn't pass your study time was not sufficient. What did your scores look like? That should give you an idea of what to concentrate on.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    networker050184 has the right idea. Look at the scores based on the domains. If your truely struggling in one or two domains, then you need to apply more studying to those specific domains.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Even if you do have experience with it, I think 24 days is too quick of a turn around.

If you had trouble with the sims, I would recommend labbing with your studies.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • WonTonDonWonTonDon Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Obviously if you didn't pass your study time was not sufficient. What did your scores look like? That should give you an idea of what to concentrate on.

The reason I hurried the exam was because I wanted to try and do 802. I was worried the new exam would be harder. There's my score, really bad I know. Other resources I should have used?

Thanks
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I always recommend the Odom books, but plenty people like Lammle's book and have passed with it. I think you might just need a bit more time in the books to get it to stick.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • WilyOneWilyOne Member Posts: 131
    WonTonDon wrote: »
    Used Lammle's Sybex book
    Past CCNA exam papers for reference
    I don't see any labbing mentioned. I think the results speak for themselves; you need to get familiar with the CLI and be able to do basic tasks without blinking.
  • sadfjlfdo24sadfjlfdo24 Banned Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Failure is part of the process. Don't let it stop you, as most people fail at least twice. Double down and try again.
  • krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    You may want to go with the 2 exam route. Also a big mistake I made during my CCNA studies (I'm a CCNA as of about 2 hours ago) is I rushed through it. I'll be attacking the CCNP with the main goal of learning the material thoroughly, with the cert itself being secondary. 'How much time should I invest?' is a bad question. Learn the material, test on it when you've mastered it.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    The resources you used are fine. I passed with Todd's book as well but you clearly didn't give yourself enough time. The book hit on all the points on the test. Reading a book once rarely does it for anyone.

If you have packet tracer or a lab handy, you should get your hands dirty as well.