Passed 640-802...barely and on the last day....

jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi all,

I know I've been posting and talking here and there about my CCNA studies and how I planned to test on the last day, 30 Sep 13...well I thought I'd just share my experience since I've always liked reading this types of posts and they give some insight into the testing experience.

I showed up at 1120 to sing in for my 1130 test...big mistake! Although the website showed open slots all day, there were plenty of people testing there for CCNA! I had to wait for 3 people ahead of me to get signed in, picture taken (no smile...I had to pay $300), and walked into the exam room.

I've tested here for Sec+ and CEH and I like how small the room is. Maybe I might reconsider on an exam with typing....they were using old Dell keyboards with the big keys. All I heard was clack clack clack!

Got signed in and the 15 minute tutorial started. While that was going on, I used the dry erase board to right out my powers of two, private IP addresses, block sizes, anything that was static...although I have them memorized to kingdom come, I didn't want to have to hesitate or think twice...

Started the exam and felt good when I got a few gimmes and KNEW they were right...then the first lab...did pretty good on it and I'm feeling great! A few more questions that I'm on the fence about...followed Todd Lammle's adage....read twice, answer once...having no back option made me not worry about 'iffy' questions once I was done.

Some of the labs (one in particular) had me nervous...I figured them out for the most part, but nothing was working. I wipe all my work and start again...packet tracer was great, but I hated the interface for the labs during the exam...set it all up but for some reason nothing is work...I figure I either got it right or don't have the time to spare. I bite my tongue and hit next. I start to feel like I bombed it...

I get more questions that don't seem too far out to me and I feel like I ended on a good streak.

Hit finish and the PC is just sitting there loading...and loading....my nerves and heart are going crazy! I get the CISCO page at the end that says something....I don't really recall because I was just too anxious to get my results....the next screen loads and I see my score of 841/1000...whew! Not only cut it close with the date but with the score again...

The test print out showed what areas I was weak in (and they corresponded to what I had in mind....) so I'm going to refresh myself on those and lab lab lab.

Beers tonight, though!

Good luck to all testing today as well ;)
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • sendalotsendalot Member Posts: 328
    that must have been quite a thrill, i bet..
  • LeifAlireLeifAlire Member Posts: 106
    Congrats man congrats...good story also.
    2015 Goals: VCP-550 - CISA - 70-417
  • WilyOneWilyOne Member Posts: 131
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    (no smile...I had to pay $300)
    I'm not smiling in mine either. I look like one grumpy SOB 'cuz I was stressing. LOL
    Hit finish and the PC is just sitting there loading...and loading....my nerves and heart are going crazy!
    Yes that hourglass at the end is nerve-racking! I wasn't quite sure it was working until the next page finally popped up.
    Not only cut it close with the date but with the score
    Hey a win is a win. Congratz! :)
  • Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    Hit finish and the PC is just sitting there loading...and loading....my nerves and heart are going crazy! I get the CISCO page at the end that says something....I don't really recall because I was just too anxious to get my results

This is the worse part on the whole exam. What is only two to five seconds feels like five minutes. Congratz on the pass.
  • sadfjlfdo24sadfjlfdo24 Banned Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    so for all those that passed.. where to next? Vertical - CCNP:R/S or Horizontal - CCNA:S / CCNA:V /etc ?
  • cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 250 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass
  • krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    so for all those that passed.. where to next? Vertical - CCNP:R/S or Horizontal - CCNA:S / CCNA:V /etc ?

CCNP next for me.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    congrats!! icon_thumright.gif
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□

I'll stay on the same level and try for CCNA: Security. I'm not working directly in a Cisco environment so I don't think I'd be ready for CCNP.

I've been thinking about going for CHFI even though I'm not a big fan of EC-Council.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lol the lady at my testing center won't take my picture unless I smile.

Congrats!!!
    Lol you must of smiled in your original picture. They match up picture to picture to make sure you are the same person.
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Heh, I emailed Todd Lammle to thank him for his 640-802 book....and he emailed me back! Cool guy!
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
    I'll stay on the same level and try for CCNA: Security. I'm not working directly in a Cisco environment so I don't think I'd be ready for CCNP.

Same here, I work as a System Admin, but not directly with the Cisco equipment at my site. Going to try to pass the CCNA Security by the end of the year if I can push myself and then start applying for jobs.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879

I've been thinking about going for CHFI even though I'm not a big fan of EC-Council.

CCNP is probably a lot more vendor neutral than CCNA:Security.
  • SysnetNotesSysnetNotes Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • umzinatorumzinator Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. Thats the exact same score i got. Just glad that i passed, now onto CCNA:DC. Knocked over the CBT Nugget videos just waiting for my book to arrive
  • gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□

Lateral. CCNA Security after I knock down Security+.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • PCSPrestonPCSPreston Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 127
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats way to go!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63