Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    DEV1 passed today, so all of my base classes are now done for the semester. Free class time is going to be used to work on the classes that "satisfy" the lower level classes. Going to work on CJV1, TXC1, TXP1 and CUV1 which is a total of 12 cus but should give me 22 cus and 35 cus for the semester total. Next Semester I have to get some General Ed classes out of the way cause I don't want to leave them all for the end, that's why I didn't finish my associates degree lol. Anyways I will keep everyone posted on my progress from now on. I need to or I will have no motivation. My Mentor is starting to learn I need to schedule my tests or I will procrastinate lol
  • Options
    Had my mentor call just now, he said he has and email in with his boss about CUV1, but that he thinks we are correct that it will fulfill EUC1 and EUP1. I just opened the ebook for CJV1 Database I. Plan on scheduling it next week so I got some work to do. If you haven't go through and plan out your classes ahead of time. I did this and it brought my grad date back 1 year. With completing the 4 classes CJV1 TXC1 TXP1 and CUV1 would bring it back another 6 months. My plan is to work on my general ed classes next semester and when that is complete I will pull from the last term in my plan. Slowly bringing my grad date in again. Starting with 3 cus I am planning on a 2 year grad date to finish the entire program. I am allowing my self 2 1/2 years tho. I work full time and am the sole provider for my family(wife 2 kids). 2 1/2 years for a bachelors, ill take that!
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Slithy wrote: »
    I was just a bit surprised because I've heard the horror stories of more aggressive online school recruiters. Instead of being asked to re-evaluate my decision or told that their degrees are equitable to a CS degree - the only question I was asked was whether I had found another school.

The difference is that WGU is a nonprofit, so you have people trying to help you with your education vs. trying to sell you into the program.
  • Options
    Has anyone been able to use the camera to take a test using windows 8? I know soon I will need to take advantage of this and wondering if I will need to use my other laptop instead.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    santaowns wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to use the camera to take a test using windows 8? I know soon I will need to take advantage of this and wondering if I will need to use my other laptop instead.

OLP is now compatible with Windows 8. You will need to uninstall the old version of the OLP software and then download and install the new version. They send you an email with the information when you schedule your OLP exam.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Awesome info thanks srabiee
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm going to talk to my counselor tommorow, because I just passed CCENT, I am hoping that can clear the requirement, even with me starting well, tomorrow. Anyway, came across this, wanted some opinions on it:

Avoid Getting Certifications at WGU | My WGU Experiences
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Just another WGU malcontent. He/she didn't so their research, and blamed WGU for making them take an exam they were apparently unable to study for, let alone pass. The list of required certs were available before this person signed up for WGU, and if they didn't want a degree path that included Cisco certs, why did they sign up for one?
    Although I felt terribly unprepared for this test, I scheduled it anyway. Needless to say, I took it and failed it twice. I didn’t even like Cisco. It wasn’t what I wanted to do as a career, yet I couldn’t find a way around three Cisco certifications.
    I’m already a bad test taker, but taking a certification over something I have little interest in is even harder. Reading five pages of my Cisco book would put me to sleep, so I knew there was no way I was passing this test.

I wouldn't hire this person to secure an outhouse, let alone a network.
  • Options
    tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    I was the one who wrote the article. I have been hired to secure quite a few networks, probably more than you. I also held a job for a long time where I did nothing BUT secure VPN tunnels for banks. And that job involved the constant use of Cisco routers and ASA's. Some of us just learn differently than others (I find studying for tests boring) but do our jobs perfectly fine without needing to prove we can pass tests.

The article just details my personal experience, with the underlying point being that getting your certifications through WGU is not as cost-effective as getting them without the school vouchers. I mentioned in the article how getting them through WGU can be cost-effective, but in the vast majority of cases, it is better to get the certifications before you even attend WGU.

You're absolutely right about how I picked the wrong major. I hadn't accounted for how insanely boring the Cisco studying would be. I realized my mistake after trying to pass the test and switched majors, graduated a couple weeks later, and lived happily ever after. Also don't forget: My diploma says the same exact thing on it as anyone who DID take the Cisco certs. If I get the same diploma, why would I bother getting three more certifications than I have to? I'd much rather get them on my own time instead while I'm paying for tuition.

Do as you please, but I've been through WGU and other colleges, and have been in this field long enough to give advice on the best 'route' to go.
  • Options
    clouderclouder Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I definitely see how self-study for certs prior to enrollment can be beneficial for many. I spent less than $500 on study materials and exam fees, though it took me a good chunk of what would be a $3,000 WGU term to complete my MCSA 2012 certification.
  • Options
    tr1x, no offense intended. I just don't see why someone would sign up for a degree track that includes CCNA and CCNA Security without having first done some research into what those achieving those certs entails.

edit: Oh, as for me, I don't start WGU until November. I'm very happy to get my entry level certs through their program, because they are included in the tuition, and the tuition is being covered by a Pell grant. I could not afford the certs if I had to pay out of pocket, even though I have the knowledge to pass several of the tests.
  • Options
    No worries, though I am more than qualified to secure a corporate network :) (not sure about outhouses though). I definitely understand what achieving those certs entails, but when it finally came time for scheduling them, I was pretty burnt out on the Cisco stuff and was more worried about graduating quickly than getting certified in something that I was no longer interested in. I skipped the certs, got my degree, then quit the job that involved daily use of Cisco and went on to something else.

Grants and scholarships are something that I forgot to mention in my article... I realized this afterwards but haven't bothered going in to edit it. If your classes are paid for (whether it be by a grant, scholarship, rich grandparent, etc) then obviously getting certifications through WGU is by far the best way to go. I wasn't as lucky, and after spending way more than I had to by getting certified through WGU, I realized the pitfall and took the faster/cheaper way out - getting the certs on my own time and dime.

To the OP: Weigh your options and decide what would be the best route for you. It all depends on your personal situation.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    lol, did not know you posted here when I found that. :o

You made decent points, which is why I posted it, had you been some overly negative whack job, I wouldnt have bothered. My... concern with WGU is similar, The MTA, Project management, and web certs I consider either worthless or unnecessary. The web ones honestly are important, but I would substitute something more programming related for the database class. If I ran WGU, I'd have the NA degree focus on CCENT/CCNA and a speciilizaton of the sudents choice, and other vendor certs, Juniper/Brocade, ect. Security would be CCENT/CCNA Security, then combinations of relevent Network defense certs focusing on FW/IDS/IPS, Some programming and maybe Reverse Engineering or some form of Malware Analysis The IT Management Degree would have the A+/N+/Sec+, PMP, CISA/CISM/CISSP option.
  • Options
    I'd like to see them do a virtualization track. Something like vcp, hyperv and xenserver or xendesktop.
  • Options
    clouderclouder Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    santaowns wrote: »
    I'd like to see them do a virtualization track. Something like vcp, hyperv and xenserver or xendesktop.

Yes, please!
  • Options
    -hype-hype Member Posts: 165
    SephStorm wrote: »
    I'm going to talk to my counselor tommorow, because I just passed CCENT, I am hoping that can clear the requirement, even with me starting well, tomorrow. Anyway, came across this, wanted some opinions on it:

Avoid Getting Certifications at WGU | My WGU Experiences

Unfortunately NO, my EC reiterated that if I grab a cert after my transcript was reviewed, I would NOT get credit for it.

And that link is BS. What a moron.
    WGU BS IT:Network Administration
    Started: 10-1-13
    Completed: 9-21-14
    Transferred: 67 CU Completed: 54 CU
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Took an unexpected plunge! So I had 7 months left of (old) GI Bill money that is set to expire next year and then I have 12 months of (new) GI Bill money to use, so I enrolled in the M.S Security and Assurance program at WGU. Old GI Bill is only good for 10 years after you get out, new GI Bill is 15 years. Tuition at WGU is so cheap that I will be making money (a good bit) to go to school, so that is a nice benefit. Adding a Master's degree will not do much for me career-wise at this moment, but it certainly won't hurt. I figured, why let Uncle Sam keep that money? My initial opinion of WGU was not as high as many others on these forums, but I guess I'll see firsthand. So, Dec 1.. away we go.
  • Options
    -hype wrote: »
    Unfortunately NO, my EC reiterated that if I grab a cert after my transcript was reviewed, I would NOT get credit for it.

And that link is BS. What a moron.

How am I a moron? I've graduated from WGU and it sounds like you're not even enrolled yet. I think I know a little more about this subject than you, thanks.

Everyone here seems to think WGU is some type of messiah and that anyone who finds anything wrong with it must be an idiot. I love WGU, and I've referred over 20 people. But it's not hard to see that their certification arrangement is not the most cost-effective route for obtaining certifications for most people.
  • Options
    milieumilieu Member Posts: 41 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tr1x wrote: »
    But it's not hard to see that their certification arrangement is not the most cost-effective route for obtaining certifications for most people.

OK, sure. So what?

You're making it sound like WGU is a program to earn certificates. It's not. WGU is a cost-effective way to get a BS degree, online at your own schedule and pace. In addition, you earn a handful of certificates along the way. The certificates are a bonus, not the reason people go there.
  • Options
    Why are you telling a WGU graduate about WGU? I know all of this already. My article simply states that while WGU is a very affordable way to get a BS, it's even MORE affordable for you to get the certs before you attend, or pick a track that doesn't require as many certs.

Everyone is so afraid that I'm attacking WGU, and is prepared to defend them to the death. I'm just stating a simple observation, you fanboys don't need to go getting all upset about it. I have 19 WGU t-shirts, and referred a ton of people - so don't worry, I'm on your side. I was just warning people about the certification setup they have because it can cost you a lot of money without you realizing it.
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    But it's not hard to see that their certification arrangement is not the most cost-effective route for obtaining certifications for most people

The link worked for me, I have no allegiance to WGU, and initially I thought you made a great point. But you left out an important fact. Yes, you essentially paid 350 dollars to WGU for the month in which you were dedicated to only studying for the CCNA. If the certification was the only factor, you're right. But, after meeting that requirement, you receive credit towards your degree. Tuition is expensive a lot of schools, and much more than 350 or even 500 per "class" in most cases.
  • Options
    Thanks for your input. I see the point you're trying to make, but here's the thing: One month of studying for the CCNA is the bare minimum, so any additional day that it takes for you to study is costing you at least $16.63 in tuition per day. For people who take two to three months to study for the test (a pretty reasonable and common amount for full-time employees), the cost of a single test adds up awfully fast.

Your other point is that taking the cert also counts towards completing your degree. Well, taking the cert before attending WGU also goes towards the degree - it's as if you're working towards your degree without being enrolled and paying tuition. Then when you've got your certs, you can transfer those credits in and have essentially passed all those classes by just paying for the certs themselves, rather than the (more expensive) tuition. WGU is hands down the cheapest, and imo, best way to get a BS in IT, but it can still be even cheaper if you do the certs right.

Anyway, this will be my last post in this thread because I don't wish to fuel a flame war and carry things even more off-topic. You are all free to disagree and form your own opinions on the matter. I only found this reference to my post because WordPress told me there was a new link to the page, and I wanted to defend my point against the idiot who said I can't secure an outhouse (turns out he has a single CIW cert and works part-time at a flower shop, so I don't even know why I bother arguing).

Everyone should just do whatever works best for them. :) Good luck on your WGU studies.
  • Options
    tr1x buddy, before you call someone an idiot, you might want to consider why they called out your article. You found the material too difficult and gave up, then posted a rant as if it was WGUs fault. Noone is going to give you kudos for that.
  • Options
    Ugh, guess I'll post here one last time.

I didn't give up, I switched majors to something more suitable for my interests. People who drop out of college give up, and I have two degrees. The material wasn't too difficult, it was too boring. I passed the CCENT pretty easily, I could've passed the ICND2 if I had more interest and time. Like I said multiple times, I was sick of Cisco at that point, so I switched majors and only a few days later quit my job that involved the use of Cisco.

It is in no way WGU's fault. I never implied that it was. On the contrary, I have continued to support WGU and refer people their way even though I graduated eight months ago.

And lastly, I don't expect kudos for anything. All I did was point out what is a very obvious waste of money for a lot of people. It's not like I'm the first to even mention this, plenty of people agree and see how getting your certs outside of WGU is way more beneficial.

You insulted me first, so don't be offended by what I said. If anyone else has something to say, please private message me so this thread can stay on topic for others.
  • Options
    CoolMikeCoolMike Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you guys dont mind me asking.......

I just got done going through most of the application process with my enrollment counselor (I did my Financial Aid, Sent in all my transcripts, got her recommendation) Now she said within 3-5 days the admissions department will say yay or nay to my application. I just received an email with from them with my transcript evaluation (which 3 of my classes are covered) does this mean im good and accepted or do they send out an actual email that says you've been accepted or denied?
  • Options
    Finally started today. Time to get to work!
  • Options
    CenturionMarioCenturionMario Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey, Sledge. I apologize for not being able to attend to you sooner. I've been pretty busy with trying to move, but I pretty much have Task 1 complete, and about a couple tweaks to getting Task 2 done. If you still want to partner up, let me know.
  • Options
    Just took the pre-assessment for BNC1, the cut score was 51%. Am I right in saying that the proctored assessment will also have a pass grade of 51%?? Also are the questions relatively the same? Do they look at if you completed all the modules and read all the chapters etc...
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    -hype wrote: »
    Just took the pre-assessment for BNC1, the cut score was 51%. Am I right in saying that the proctored assessment will also have a pass grade of 51%?? Also are the questions relatively the same? Do they look at if you completed all the modules and read all the chapters etc...

Same cut score, I guess it depends on your mentor. I usually tell mine to just approve scheduling when I start a new class that way I don't get stuck waiting for it later, he knows I won't try to take the test unless I'm ready so it works out.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There should be a button for both the pre-assessment and the objective assessment. They may have different # of questions and different cut scores, but the information is there when you go to the course page and click on Assessment Preparation.

As far as difficultly, I have found that the actual objective assessment is slightly more difficult than the pre-assessment, but not by a lot. You will get different questions, but the questions are very similar.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)