PLEASE help me with my resume

johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
Well, I've been trying very hard to get interviews and it just isn't happening. Maybe it's my resume? Please take a look! I'm desperate! Thanks! icon_wink.gif

COMPUTER SUPPORT TECHNICIAN
*Repair *Networking *Customer Service

Background includes experience in installation, testing, upgrading, troubleshooting, support and maintenance of computer workstations and network connectivity. Superior customer service skills. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.

CERTIFICATIONS / TECHNICAL SKILLS

Certifications: A+, Network+, I-Net+
Skills: Desktop Support for Windows platforms; Printer maintenance; client network configuration
Software: Windows 9x, Me, NT, 2000, XP; Ms Office 2003; Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio; Novell Netware Client; Symantec Ghost

EDUCATION

Westfield State College, Westfield, MA May 2006
Bachelor of Science, Computer Science
Minor Mathematics

Asnuntuck Community College, Enfield, CT May 2003
Associate of Science, General Studies

RELATED EXPERIENCE

Lower Pioneer Valley Educational Collaborative,
West Springfield, MA Spring 2006
Intern
Performed updates and maintenance on the school's systems. Configured PC work stations to connect to Novell Netware 6.5 servers. Wired switches and hubs for network connectivity through out the organization. Provided technical support to staff in a timely manner.

IT Help Desk Westfield State College, Westfield,
MA Fall 2005
Intern
Offered solutions for incoming support calls. Followed up with customers to ensure timely resolution of all computer related problems. Worked with support center systems to ensure maximum uptime to all system users. Imaged new machines using Symantec Ghost software.

Super Geeks Computer Rescue, East Longmeadow,MA
Summer 2005
Intern
Developed technical assessments of PCs and implemented appropriate solutions. Built custom computers based on documented specification. Exercised computer repair, maintenance and upgrades.

Media Center / IT Department Asnuntuck Comm.
College, Enfield, CT Feb 2001 - Aug 2003
Work Study
Managed evening activities requiring IT and Media Service support. Maintained PC workstations used by faculty and staff. Updated pages on the college website. Processed data entry using Microsoft Access.

HONORS

Who's Who Among Students In American Junior Colleges 2003
BS - Computer Science
MS - Computer Information Systems

Comments

• jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    I'm no expert, but it looks like you got it all covered there. You are looking for a job in Computer Support? If so, it looks to me like you have the background and experience for that position, both in technical and people-skills. It might just be bad timing...I've been pumping resumes for a similar position and have had nothing where I am. But, from my point-of-view, it looks like you have it covered pretty well, maybe just watch or change some of the words you use to describe things...Maybe "Superior customer service skills" is a bit over the top when some reads it.

Just my thoughts... :)
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • int80hint80h Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Most places will refuse to hire someone with a B.S. as a PC/networking technician because most jobs open to those w/ a B.S. pay higher than a PC/networking technicain role. Most employers are worried you wont stick around very long.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One tip I will point out is that I would put your education above your certifications. You have a BS in Computer Science ... use that to your advantage as your 'highlight' to your resume.
  • OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    You have a BS degree in Comp Sc. Why are you looking for a computer technician-customer service job?

Those colleges are sure doing a screwed job with their tech degrees. If you want to be a developer, ge MCAD, MCSD etc and get a business or liberal arts degree to go with it if you want to have a college degree.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • 12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    Olajuwon wrote:
    You have a BS degree in Comp Sc. Why are you looking for a computer technician-customer service job?

Those colleges are sure doing a screwed job with their tech degrees. If you want to be a developer, ge MCAD, MCSD etc and get a business or liberal arts degree to go with it if you want to have a college degree.

?? how does this help him? he just got a degree and you offer advice for him to get another degree?

You have more than enough on your resume to get a support job, how long have you been at it?
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    chuchuchu wrote:

?? how does this help him? he just got a degree and you offer advice for him to get another degree?

You have more than enough on your resume to get a support job, how long have you been at it?
    Try to understand my post
    I didn't tell him to get another degree. I am saying that's what he should have done. I myself spent 1 yr in computer science but found out that it sucks soon enough to avoid wasting my time. Now that he has a degree, he needs the certifications.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • 12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    homeboy posted his resume and asked for help, he didn't ask what he should have done back in college. it's a waste of your time and our time to tell people what they "should have" done.
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think change "RELATED EXPERIENCE" to "PROFFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE"

Seperate certifcations and technical skills and lay out the cert better. Sometime a full description of the cert is better for HR. e.g. Comptia A+ Probably not a good example for you but for instance Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) or something along those lines.

Not sure how you formatted it but put your certs on a seperate line

Comptia A+
    Comptia Network+

Also think about your opening statement, it doesn't really make much of impact I don't think. But also don't go over the top. And with this statement this is the place to sell your personal skills such as communication, customer service (superior may not be the best description - get the thesaurus out)

You've got some good experience, may be bullet point your duties out to make it more appealing and any achievements from those jobs at the top of the list.

Just a few little constructive points
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    And just to add one more point, not a resume tip as such but getting your MCP will seriously go a long way.
  • johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    Thanks for all the points guys!! I literally just finished my last final yesterday, so now I'm mailing these resumes out like CRAZY trying to get something. I know it's hard to get started.

As for why I chose computer science: I did it because when I was researching college I noticed a lot of tech jobs required a degree and said, "computer science degree preferred." So, I went and got it.

Maybe I'll try to get my MCP just to make things look a little better.

Thanks again :D
    BS - Computer Science
    Most schools have a dept. to help you with resumes and interview skills. They should also be helping you in your methodology in finding employers. Many of them have contacts in the business community. Hit the job fairs you school may host.
    Check out or join the local association of information technology professional. Networking networking networking.
    http://www.aitp.org/index.jsp
    :D:D
    Badger
    _________
    Velle est posse, tempus fugit, vivere disce, Cogita Mori
  • Badger95Badger95 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok the Biggest thing i see in your resume is you need to write with a cause and effect. What and how much did you impact the organization. Scope. % s $s Numbers ect…
    What was the problem how much did you fix it. Don’t just list what you are skilled at. What is the skill - and how did you use it. again scope.
    Think action words.

Example
    • Strong communicator; consistently selected above other trainers to teach new prospective clients to generate repeat business. Influential in increasing attendance for Web Development and upper level application courses by 30%.

Start Your resume off with a short 3 or 4 sentence Summary.

Highly self-motivated professional IT computer instructor with five years of combined experience in corporate and military environments. Recognized and sought-after technical expertise, bringing a wealth of knowledge and highest levels of enthusiasm to all projects undertaken. Possess exceptional verbal and written communication skills and the ability to incorporate ingenuity with proficiency to ensure successful training efforts.

Then back up your summary with bullets of how you did what you said.

Try that for a starter.
    Badger
    _________
  • Badger95Badger95 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Developed technical assessments of PCs and implemented appropriate solutions. Built custom computers based on documented specification. Exercised computer repair, maintenance and upgrades.

Managed evening activities requiring IT and Media Service support. Maintained PC workstations used by faculty and staff. Updated pages on the college website. Processed data entry using Microsoft Access.

/quote]

Ok, how did your implementing the appropriate solutions impact the organization? how much, how many, what did you save them. see my point.

How many pc workstations did you manage? How big is the website, how many users look at it . how important is it. what type of information, is it critical to enrolments, and classes.
    You processed data in Access. ok... you can type, no big deal, BUT did you create any part of the database if so, how does impact operations.

Hope this is helping you. Employers want to know how you can impact their company. Your are now a salesman and you are the product. so what makes you special. sell that.
    Badger
    _________
  • johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    These are all really good suggestions, i'm going to start making changes immediatly. Thanks!! icon_wink.gif
    BS - Computer Science