Options

ITIL v3 foundation cert

dinvedinve Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Dear All,

I am currently employed & looking for a job change, am gonna take up ITIL V3 foundation certification next week,
Will the cert. help increase visibility of my resume and better my job prospects,

Thanks in Advance :)

Comments

• Options
    NicWhiteNicWhite Member Posts: 134
    I can't answer the question of relevance on your resume but just so you know, I think there is a more current test - the ITIL 2011.
    WGU - BS Software Development
    Start Date: 2/1/2016
    Transferred 40 / Complete 23 / Remaining 60
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I haven't seen it help too much. I've never been called jsut because I have it. It's helped me in knowing more about process and design. The foundation exam isn't that difficult. I got it because the company I was working for had it as a requirement for some of the jobs I wanted to apply for.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    I just started studying for this today, and I think I'll have it in about 2 weeks based on how simple the material is. Considering it's only 2 weeks worth of work, I'd say it's worth it.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    The 2011 objective still falls under ITILv3. The ITIL certification most definitely adds validity to your credentials, especially if you are looking to work in an service operations environment.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    krjay wrote: »
    I just started studying for this today, and I think I'll have it in about 2 weeks based on how simple the material is. Considering it's only 2 weeks worth of work, I'd say it's worth it.

Its 2 days worth of work.

Learning the terminology has really upped my professionalism. I think the time I took passing ITIL was worth it.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for interest in helping me,

BTW my work profile is Implementation of ERP Modules & PIR (Post Implementation review), & end to end client support,

Regards
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    ITIL Foundations exposure can do a few things for a professional:
    1. gives a good overview of a lot of functions commonly found in enterprise IT environments, even if they're not structured in ITIL fashion;
    2. teaches industry-accepted best practices;
    3. provides a more "professional" approach to IT that may rub off in one's interactions with peers and management;
    4. gives a resume appearance that a candidate has 1, 2 and 3 above.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    Polynomial wrote: »
    Its 2 days worth of work.

Learning the terminology has really upped my professionalism. I think the time I took passing ITIL was worth it.

I bought Liz Gallacher's book for the exam, I don't think I could get through that thing in 2 days
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    petedude wrote: »
    ITIL Foundations exposure can do a few things for a professional:
    1. gives a good overview of a lot of functions commonly found in enterprise IT environments, even if they're not structured in ITIL fashion;
    2. teaches industry-accepted best practices;
    3. provides a more "professional" approach to IT that may rub off in one's interactions with peers and management;
    4. gives a resume appearance that a candidate has 1, 2 and 3 above.

+1 to all of this.

Another way to look at it: If you are an organized, plan following individual than get this cert. The type of organization that puts an ITIL cert in there requirements for a job is the type of place that is likely to have logical, planned out jobs or at least expect some sort of organization.

TL:DR
    The cert not only shows employers you are knowledgeable in ITIL concepts, but it will also filter out those employers that don't care about that stuff (which could be a good thing).
  • Options
    Thanks again guys,

petedude & chris ur posts are real boost... icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There are a lot of answers to this question.

The simple answer, and the reason I have it, is because employers over-value it. This is not to say that it, or the information you will learn, is without worth. Most of the foundation is "ITIL Terminology & Applied Common Sense". I consider it an excellent complimentary certification for all IT personnel.

That being said, even though I consider it over-valued, it will not get you a new job. It may increase your visibility and/or give you an edge over other candidates for a position. It isn't generally a "check in the box" certification like a lot of Security certifications (Sec+, CISSP) that employers will refuse to speak to a potential candidate without.

The foundation will, in no way, make you an expert in ITSM. It is exactly that - an entry-level, foundation certification to display that you understand the core concepts and terminology.

Best of luck in your studies and job search.