Server+ Tomorrow :X

LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey TE,

I am taking the Server+ tomorrow, I earned my A+ two weeks ago and now I'm shooting for Server+. I used Johnathan Lau's book and CBT Nuggets and of course my own experience with servers. I think I do pretty well with the questions asked and material covered.

Any tips or hints?

Time for a last minute cram session.
Kindly doing the needful

Comments

• kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Know the different raid types and when to use them and not to use them.
  • lawrence_of_arabialawrence_of_arabia Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As kris said, know the RAID levels and when they're appropriate. Retain all of the knowledge you learned taking the A+, know about backup methods, know about data loss prevention/disaster recovery, know server hardware, know better of what to expect by reviewing the objectives on CompTIA's website, know that the pass score is 750/900, and let us know how you do!
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's not to bad. Good luck bring back a winner!
  • LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Talk about a close call...

With one week of studying CBT Nugget Videos (Didnt even get through them all) and skimming through JLau's Concise Server+ book & doing over 10 Practice tests off of Skillsoft...

My final score was....

751/900
    Passing Score: 750

BOOOOOYAH!!!!

So, I did have trouble with the RAID arrays - there was only a few questions on that. Tons of A+ Hardware stuff, like SCSI speeds, iSCSI, NAS, SAN and SAS specifics (Speeds, features, hardware).

The scenerio's were moderate. Some networking cmd stuff, nothing most people wouldnt know. Some security stuff like Backup's, Images and disaster recovery.

Overall the test was pretty good, it really makes you think a bit harder compared to A+.

My next step is probably Security+ and MAYBE Net+.

A+ / Server+ in 3 weeks isn't a bad record ^^
    Kindly doing the needful
  • epcgepcg Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

Whats next?
    Security+ looks promising. I have Darril's book and some video's
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif

Good luck with Security+ and you should update your certs on your profile icon_wink.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    Thanks, and I just did. Feels good to have a second piece of paper :). Been a long time coming.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • ginopo01ginopo01 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello guys I found CBT Nuggets video but is 2009 still valid or is a new version please let me know thank you so much
    It's still Valid. Get the Concise study guide by Mr. Lau, it's a good book, it's just notes, but enough notes to pass the exam.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • co.adorco.ador Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You have inspired me again... This coming year I will have CCNA, MSCE, NET+ SEcurity+ Server + plus my A+. you have inspired me... Man great job...
  • coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LittleBIT wrote: »
    It's still Valid. Get the Concise study guide by Mr. Lau, it's a good book, it's just notes, but enough notes to pass the exam.
    May I also add CompTIA (SKO-003) Server+ Exam Manual by PrepLogic...these three items are all I need to study for the Server+ exam.

Amazon.com: Server+ (SK0-003) eBook: LearnSmart: Kindle Store
    Amazon.com: The Concise Server+ Study Guide (SK0-003) eBook: Jonathan Lau: Kindle Store
    System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
    2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure