ccna security+ccnp security or cissp?

sheryshery Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
i have finished ccna then masters of engineering in cryptography, now i am interested in network security. i need some help before starting.
all i concern about are salary and job opportunities.
so anybody can help me :
should i study cisco tracks (ccna security - ccnp security - ccie ) or study cissp course?

Comments

• Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    It depends, if you are looking to be in a technical position then go CCIE Security. If you don't like as much hands on, then I would go for CISSP. Both of them are very good certificate but the CCIE will take you much longer to complete then the CISSP. I've seen a couple of people pass the CISSP in 3 month of studying but for CCIE most people take 8 months to a couple of years of studying.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • sheryshery Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks bro for your reply, but what about job opportunities and salary for the both of them?
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There will be plenty of job opportunities with either. Salary has too many variables to give a good answer. It depends on your experience, what other certs you have, where you live, and a lot of other factors.
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    All 3.

Don't forget the CISSP has 5 year experience requirement minus one year for your education or certs so 4 year education.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    If you're concerned about salary and job opportunities, but are also interested in network security, then I would recommend this order:
    1 - CISSP
    2 - CCIE - Security (of course get the NA-Security and NP-Security on your way.)

In my own case, the CISSP has had the highest ROI of any certifications in my set.

Look at it like this:
    CISSP - short study time, high salary
    CCNA-Security - short study time, average salary
    CCIE-Security - extremely long study time, high salary

If you're going for a boosted salary, the CISSP would help to get your salary up in the interim while you work at shoring up your network security skills.

I caution you that the CISSP is more of a "read carefully before answering" test than it is a security test. For whatever reason, some people read more carefully than others.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • sheryshery Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have :
    -bachelor degree in communications and electronics engineering
    -master of engineering degree in cryptography
    -good vb.net programming skills
    -Cisco CCNA r&sw
    -6 years of experience with networking (installation, troubleshooting )
    -from Egypt , looking for a network security job abroad with good salary.
    so i need to decide which way to go, i mean the good start and not to stop and go backwards to the otherway , i mean i do not want to waste time studying and switching between these two options ( Cisco or cissp )
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Not that much of an issue, IMO. Since you have the experience, the CISSP will take a couple of months. However, we all know what the deal with CCIE is. I don't see why a comparison should be made here. Just do the CISSP and head down the hardcore IE path.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    Good advice above. CISSP is more of a security management/analyst role. CCIE/CCNP Security is hands on/engineering.

TBH the 'sweet spot' assuming you don't want to go down the hardcore propellor route (but you very well may judging by your courses already) is to do the CISSP and do up to CCNP Sec on the side. Even @ the CCNP Sec level requires an in depth level of technical knowledge.
  • CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    Why not all of the above? There are way too many variables when trying to put a number on the salary, but if it helps, my guess is that they are paid somewhat in this order (least to greatest): CCNA, CCNP, CISSP, CCIE. That last two are very subjective though as CISSPs can of course earn more than CCIEs depending on their position.
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The first thing you need to do is get a job. If you are trying to make it into IT, your number one priority is to get a job. Doing that job well is your number two priority. A distant third priority is certification unless your job tells you to get them. If you don't currently have a job, your number one priority is to get a job, and your number two priority is studying skills useful in your target job. Do not make the mistake of overvaluing your certifications.