Options

vSphere and MS Azure - integration?

blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
I was just informed that I will have to implement and support VMs hosted on the Azure platform in the very near future. Although the justification supports one specific use case and a few VMs, if things go the way they typically do, I'm sure Azure usage will end up going through the roof in the next year.

Anyone else out there supporting on-premise vSphere and Azure VMs in the public cloud? Anyone know if there there is any integration of Azure with vSphere via the vCloud suite or a third party vendor? I noticed the multi-hypervisor manager lists Hyper-V as a supported platform, but not Azure.
IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
Working on: RHCE/Ansible
Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    System Center 2012 should be able to do both Azure and VCenter. I don't have any details on that; I just know it supports both.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    ptilsen is right - SCVMM 2012 sp1 (and the upcoming R2) supports managing Azure & vSphere through a single pane of glass. You can also layer MS's App Controller, another part of the System Center Suite, on top of it to create a web portal that can manage it all.

Though I've got to say I find VMM's user interface to be laid out in an illogical manner. Maybe I'm just too used to vSphere's GUI, but navigating in VMM doesn't seem as streamlined.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks for the input guys. I doubt we will go that route, I don't see us switching to VMM for managing the whole envrionment when our vsphere to azure/hyper-v ration will probably be something like 10:1 in favor of vsphere.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    vCAC plugs into both I believe.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman