VMware question

Mquinn33Mquinn33 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, all!
I'm just getting started studying for 70-410 & I've got a VMware question.

So I've created some virtual machines, but why would I want to convert my PC to a virtual machine? What is the purpose of doing so?

Thanks in advance!

- Mary

Comments

• tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome to the forums Mary. There is a separate forum dedicated to VMware topics here Virtualization Forums I don't see why you would want to virtualize your pc either but say you wanted to test out or learn about different operating system like Windows Server 2012, you can now do so without having to buy another computer or server. Just create a virtual machine!
  • ZandokanZandokan Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What I did was dual boot Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012, I installed with Hyper-V and nothing else and virtualized all my servers from there to learn. Since you are going to take 70-410 I would rather use Hyper-v than VMware so you can learn it since you will get a lot of questions in the examn.
  • Mquinn33Mquinn33 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, all!
    I'm just getting started studying for my first Windows server 2012 exam & I've got a VMware question.

So I've created some virtual machines. But why would I want to convert my PC to a virtual machine? What is the purpose of doing so?

Thanks in advance!

- Mary
  • Mquinn33Mquinn33 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, guys!

I do have a dual boot set up on my laptop & have been using hyper-V, but wanted to check out how to virtualize in vmware as well.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Server consolidation is the main reason to virtualize the datacenter. A typical host only utilizes 7-10% of available capacity. By virtualizing, you can increase it to 70-80% utilization.

For end user computing, the best reason IMO is data security. All data are secured at the datacenter. If an employee laptop happens to get lost, stolen or destroyed, it's not a big deal because the data is stored at the datacenter.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    dave330i wrote: »
    Server consolidation is the main reason to virtualize the datacenter. A typical host only utilizes 7-10% of available capacity. By virtualizing, you can increase it to 70-80% utilization.

For end user computing, the best reason IMO is data security. All data are secured at the datacenter. If an employee laptop happens to get lost, stolen or destroyed, it's not a big deal because the data is stored at the datacenter.[/QUOTE

Good answer!