Options

Failed VCP-DCV

tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
Took my 1st attempt this morning and failed scoring a 280. I just finished the stanly ICM course and have been studying the past 6 or so months.

The test was very difficult and found myself getting hung on questions regarding AutoDeploy, FibreChannel storage, resource pools, vDS's, and troubleshooting questions.

Going to go back through the stuff I was weak on and take again in a few weeks but man was that test difficult. No gimme questions, gotta know everything about everything.

Comments

• Options
    phonicphonic Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that. I too just finished the Stanly course and hope to sit for the exam sometime next month. I plan on doing a lot of studying and home lab work in the interim.

I haven't attempted the test yet, but from what I've heard from numerous sources is that half or so of the questions have nothing to do with any training (whether Academy or the normal VMware class). Even one co-worker who took the official 5-day class said that only 2-3 people out of 40-50 passed the exam the first go around immediately after completing it.

Do you think the class helped you at all in the score you got?
  • Options
    and it looks like my thread was somehow posted twice. Mod, feel free to delete one.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's not the easiest test around, that's for sure. My commiserations on not passing the first time, I didnt either. You need to know something about everything really, dont skip anything. Do you have the Mastering book? Ensure you understand and lab the whole book.

There's a thread going about a free second shot at any VMware exam, check that out before you book your next attempt.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    No, the class didn't help with any of the questions which is what I expected. The class goes through the very basics and there were no basic questions on the exam. One thing I failed do is really apply my studies to each of the individual objectives outlined in the blueprint. My plan is to go through the study guides I have that cover each objective and follow along the best I can in my lab.
  • Options
    If he took the Stanly class, he should actually have two voucher codes he can use.
    The first one that was posted via email on Moodle is redeemed directly at Pearson Vue. I'm not sure if it is a one-time code or if it can be redeemed more than once. The second voucher code you can get via their college store website is redeemed at a third party site where you buy a voucher for the exam that is in turn redeemed at Pearson. So you should have at least one more 70% off code you can use.

If you failed that too (hopefully not!) and needed to book a third test, and the other codes didn't work any more, then I would recommend going the second free shot method. But that can't be combined with a discount code.
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Prep materials used?
    How long did you study?
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    Mastering vsphere 5
    OMG preston study guide (did not read through all of this which I should have)
    Transignal videos
    the preston and simon long pratice test
    Many hours labbing in my own lab
    3 yrs working with vsphere at work

Think I started really preparing 4 or 5 months ago
  • Options
    Do you think the Trainsignal video training helped? I just completed the CBT Nuggets set and starting on TS. The TS videos look more detailed compared to CBT, so I'm hoping they provide additional insight into what I need to know.

What online practice tests do you think most resemble the questions on the real exam?
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The ICM class only covers about 60% of the test. I teach it sometimes at a local college and the first thing we tell the students is the class alone will not get you to pass the exam. I always recommend Lowe's Book and Ducan's DRS book. That covers all parts of the exams IMO. The trainsignal videos are good but only cover about the same amount of material as the class.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    The videos covered the basics which was good for a foundational knowledge so yah they prob. helped a little. And as for the online practice tests... they all contain basic simple questions. Do NOT expect to see the kind of questions on those practice tests on the actual test.
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I passed with very low 300's on first try after having several years of ESXi experience but still studying for a few months after the class. IMO even though alot of people say things improved from VCP 4 to VCP 5 I still think the test is extremely difficult. I understand VMware wants people to have decent experience but in order to pass the test you pretty much have to know every nuance of everything mentioned in the blueprint, and the official resources don't even scratch the surface of the exam!!!!! Do not think you can step into the exam with a broad overview of each topic and expect to walk victorious.

The questions could be as obtuse as "what is symbolized by the third blade of grass that can be seen in front of the test center where you're currently taking this VCP exam" and the answers: Chicken, Ferarri, Itchy, or Fred. If you said "WTF" then that's right because that's what i said too. The CISSP, CCENT was child's play compared to this beast. I am so glad not to have to tackle it again because I doubt I would have.
  • Options
    ROFL. I'm sure the proctor was a getting a kick out of me throwing my hands up in the air mouthing out "Are You F'n Serious!!". Most of questions I believe I got right were ones that I wasn't sure I had the right answer but rather I WAS sure the other anwser choices were wrong.
  • Options
    I haven't taken this exam, so I can't speak to how it is, but I personally dislike tests that ask things that either are useless to know because the information is easily available or want people to know things that have no practical use.

For example, some of the practice quizzes I've taken asked questions like:
    With DRS, chose the three available options:
    a) Partially Automatic
    b) Partially Automated
    c) Fully Automated
    d) Fully Automatic
    e) Manual
    Sure, the answer is 'automated', but who cares whether someone thinks it might be labeled as "automatic". In fact, I've even seen official VMware documentation refer to it as "automatic". It's not like someone needs to fill in the blank when they are configuring it, nor is there a fundamental difference between the two. As long as the person knows what they mean, how they differ (partially vs fully vs manual) and why do use one over the other, that's what matters. Again, I highly doubt this question is even on the exam, but I was referring more to questions of this type. I've seen other exams actually ask similar questions, trying to see if people memorized information that is readily available when you actually need to use it.

Making a test difficult for the sake of having a difficult test does not a skilled person make.
  • Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There are 3 things I think you need, anything else is up to you:

- the blueprint - to guide you
    - the documentation - to study
    - the software - to play

Yes the exam is more simple if you've actually done the things being asked about, but that's a good thing as it benefits those with the hands-on.

Two reasons to study mostly from the documentation as opposed to any other books:

1. VMware validate the exam items agains the documentation
    2. You get used to learning things and doing things the VMware way

Best of luck for next time.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    This does not bode well for me. I think passing the VCA DCV and VCA Cloud spoiled me into thinking the impossible. I took a certified vsphere class a couple months ago, and need to take the test before the end of this year to enjoy the 70% off voucher they gave at the end of the class.
    I was about to start up studying (haven't touched anything since the class a couple months ago), which gives me about 2.5 months to lab and study for this.
    Was planning to use the Scott Lowe book (props to you sir), labbing with my own modified Baby Dragon II, and hopefully some practice questions from transcender.

Seems like I need WAY more time and WAY more prep from what has been said above!??!?!?
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD