Passed G2700 today!

WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
Not an amazing score, but passing! In reality I didn't study all that much. Went through some of the material that WGU provided, became familiar with the the 27001, 27002, 27003, and took both practice tests that Sans provided.

The test is open book and I used all three of those standards a lot during the test! A lot of the questions you can answer with general IT knowledge from experience in the field.

Big thanks to Agent47 and his detailed preparation guide which is located here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/sans-institute-giac-certifications/88987-passed-giac-g2700-exam-today.html It helped me a ton!
Never stop learning.

Comments

• HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! Glad to hear it wasn't as rough as I was thinking it was. Have to take mine on the 18th of October. Wasn't sure that's enough time to study, but I guess I should be okay. Getting close to finishing, feels good doesn't it?
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    Thanks, good luck to you as well! Yes it feels great to be almost done. I've been in school for too long, ready to be done! Even though Ill probably never stop taking classes... ha ha Did you already do your Capstone?
    Never stop learning.
    Yep, have everything done but this test. Was going to finish it last term, but work got in the way. Will be so glad to be done with this so I can move on to more interesting things.
  • WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    Oh nice, pre-congrats on graduating! If you don't mind me asking what was your topic for your Capstone? Yeah the G2700 isn't the most interesting cert to study for unless you really love policy!
    Never stop learning.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
    Ah, no worries, my Capstone was related to the development of a managed security services offering for an MSP that currently does everything but that. As for the policy aspect, I don't mind it, it's the language that's so dry however. Working through the book is doing wonders for my sleep however. icon_lol.gif
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Congratulations !
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations Whiteout! I, myself, will sit for this exam early next year. I'm not even thinking about my capstone right now...
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
    Took my first practice test, without study and without notes. 69.7%, so i'm not terribly worried. Will take my second on the 16th, which is two days before my test. Going to do a serious cram session this weekend. However from what i've seen, this should be a breeze...hope it doesn't bite me in the butt.
  • Psyco32Psyco32 Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!!
    2014 GOALS
    > GMOB [MAR_2014] OSCP [MAY_2014] GREM [OCT_2014]
  • cutch69cutch69 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How are you all studying i am going over the WGU information an it seem like a waste of time and i am loss on this exam. I look my first practice test and scored a 65% no book or notes i just don't I have printed out the 27001/2/5 2005:2013 along with information from the tool kit.
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gif
    Question?? For you guys that are taking the SANS G2700 certification through WGU, are you receiving the SANS course material or something that WGU put together?
    2014 GOALS
  • cutch69cutch69 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    WGU material and i freaking hate it
    Yeah I picked up the IT governance book, other than that, the official standards and the stuff that the course mentor provides. With the practice tests being what they are, I think that's probably more than enough to pass the test.
  • Agent47Agent47 Member Posts: 103
    Big thanks to Agent47 and his detailed preparation guide which is located here: Passed the GIAC G2700 Exam Today It helped me a ton!

You're very welcome! Congratulations on the pass Whiteout, that's good news!! And "ahem" you mean her detailed prep guide hahahaha. The test is something else because its alot of info to soak in with no real guide on what to do. Clutch, please check that link out. I think it may help guide you in regards to what to study. Hypntick, let us know when you pass the exam (Im already saying you will)!

icon_study.gif
    It's good to know that the test is passable without SANS material. I have already went through some of their cert courses/tests and there are a lot of those "I gotcha" questions that are buried in the course material.
    2014 GOALS
    Agent47 wrote: »
    Hypntick, let us know when you pass the exam (Im already saying you will)!

icon_study.gif

Tomorrow at 10 am, just took the second practice last night at 82%. Going through final arrangements of my notes, but i'm feeling pretty good about it.