Free VCA exam of your choice from VMWARE

Comments

• taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    Does anyone know if the VCA certifications help with a company's partner level with VMWare by any chance?
  • EcioEcio Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know if the VCA certifications help with a company's partner level with VMWare by any chance?

Good question. According to this page
    VMware Service Provider Partner Program Requirements & Benefits - United States
    it looks like that to be a service provider partner you need to have 1+ VCP
    In the pdf brochure published here
    they just talk about
    VSP = VMware Sales Professional, VTSP = VMware Technical Solutions Professional, VCP = VMware Certified Professional
    no VCA-*

but I think it will be very strange for them not considering this VCA certifications (at least at the lavel of sales certifications). Maybe they've not updated yet their docs, you could try to contact them (even more if you're already a partner) to have this information.
    Passed the VCA-WM certification. It's surely easier than VCA-CLOUD.
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Congrats Ecio ! I have been trying to attend the course since a week and have not found the time ! Hope to finish it as soon as possible ! Dont want to let the offer go without trying !
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• MagmadragoonMagmadragoon Member Posts: 172 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Failed the VCA-DCV for the first time with a 290/ 300. So close
  • taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    For anyone interested I called and spoke with Partner Support at VMWare and these certifications have no impact on partner level and currently no plans for them to have impact in the future as well.
  • tier~tier~ Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just passed the VCA-DCV with a 420/500. Not too shabby. Let's hope the Cloud and WM work out equally as well in the next couple days.

Then it's back to finishing the Linux+.
    Let's Connect!
    LinkedIn, Twitter, Blog
  • MagmadragoonMagmadragoon Member Posts: 172 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Passed taking the test the second time 340 /500 on VCA-DCV
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I had an extremely slow day at work today, so I sat down and burned through the VCA-Cloud and VCA-DCV training courses provided by VMware. I decided to take the exams with the voucher from this thread, and I ended up passing both of them. I definitely agree with most people in this thread: these exams wouldn't have been worth taking if not for the free voucher, or at least a massive discount off the original $120. The training for these certs was nice, though, gave me a broad overview of the vCloud suite that I didn't have before; I'm sure it would be a similarly helpful intro to vSphere for someone who's just starting out with virtualization.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • sconklin01sconklin01 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the provided online course VMware offered for VCA-DCV. The voucher code for free test worked without issues and I passed. I have about 1 year working with vSphere and ESXi so with that and the course I was able to get by. I am going to try VCA- Cloud next while they are free,
  • ElevenBravoElevenBravo Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I completed all 3 of the certifications and found the "VCA-Cloud" exam to be the most difficult. All of the information needed to pass is in the training video(s) provided - the training videos do provide external links to licensing and other information that you should check out (or else, why would they mention it?). Be sure you know the differences between the versions of the suites because there are licensing feature questions.

FYI - I would never take these for $120 but they are definitely a good starting place for a cert track. I'm going to be taking the VCP-DCV exam in the next couple of weeks (have the course, just need the exam).

I disagree that these are a "Sales Gimmick" - you need to know these products and their functionality from a high level, which is what is to be expected of someone on an associate level. At $120 they are WAY overpriced for the value they provide, however.
  • dacetodaceto Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed the VCA-DCV with a 460/500. It had a few questions that tripped me but over all not to bad. Im going to do the Mobility one tonight. Good deal for free but everyone else is right....I wouldnt pay for it.
  • aliinboxaliinbox Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Passed all three VCAs with 300 being said I have no previous experience with vmware. I guess 300 is my lucky number!!!
  • ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Finally got around to passing Cloud with a 340. I actually liked the material for all three tests, and I'm going to set up a home lab to study for VCP5-DCV, since the voucher is really cheap through WGU, and because it seems like fun.
  • Data180Data180 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did the DCV and Cloud last month upon getting the initial email and decided to try get motivated for the Mobility cert before it closed, got so bored going through the course content that I did the exam without completing the course and easily managed to pass the exam :)

Is anyone here putting this cert on their resume or Linkedin pages?
  • Gholden85Gholden85 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    3/3 on these certs. Thanks whoever posted this!
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just used the VCA13ICS code and it worked for me. I am in the US (Denver). Tried it for grins, as I have the other code, too.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Jayjett90Jayjett90 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just passed with a 320/500. I was at work and decided to take the recommended class to study from and I took the test right after. Everything took about 4 hours since I was also helping people at work.
    FYI There's a new code: VCA13BCN (it has been given to the VMworld 2013 currently running in Barcelona). It expires on November, 15th
    I hope they will release VCA-NV before the end of the promotion :)
  • Radiohead316Radiohead316 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ecio wrote: »
    FYI There's a new code: VCA13BCN (it has been given to the VMworld 2013 currently running in Barcelona). It expires on November, 15th
    I hope they will release VCA-NV before the end of the promotion :)

Thanks. I completed VCA-DCV using the new code for free, but barely passed with exactly 300.

The course doesn't cover most of the questions really. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    FYI There's a new code: VCA13BCN (it has been given to the VMworld 2013 currently running in Barcelona). It expires on November, 15th I hope they will release VCA-NV before the end of the promotion :)
    Thanks for posting the new code.

After failing Cloud last week, I decided to go through and try to knock out a course a day this week.

I know there's some negativity associated with these courses and exams, but I think it was a great idea on vmWare's part. This "offer" does:

A) Provide an introduction to virtualization, some terminology and concepts

B) Introduces the student to vmWare's line of products in VDI, DCV and Cloud, which are big right now. It would be nice to think it was altruistic but it helps to create a culture of promoting their products, similar to Cisco. My only "knock" against this is their requirement to attend expensive VM-Ware sponsored training or a vmWare Academy prior to taking their test equivalent of CCNA (and getting your hands on the ESXi additions are also difficult...unless).

To be honest, I wasn't to impressed with my performance. I felt like I had a grasp of the material but I think you're inundated with all of these products, features, etc that it can be a little confusing and the test questions aren't CompTIA straight forward (in some cases yes).

Personally, I enjoyed the DCV>Cloud>>>>>>>Mobility.
    As far as test difficulty Cloud>Mobility>DCV.

Hopefully, the network course and exam are offered soon, so we can take advantage of the current offer.
  • GBAKER2204GBAKER2204 Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi All,

Just found a link to a large training provider's site mentioning the VCAs with the following code: VCA13GKN -

Exam must be completed by January 31, 2014.

It also mentions "Limit one free exam per individual".
    WIP: 2017 - VCP6.5-DCV (Achieved), VCAP6-DCV, Citrix CCA-V
  • MrSencieMrSencie Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    passed second time i know i rushed the first..

not sure what benefits its going to bring if any but because it is free it just has to be done. going to do the VCA-WM later i done the VCA-DVC yesterday

all very much the same the main benefits i can see is straight away is for sales people.

IT Bods will need more the this, but VCP prices have always been a stumbling block
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    So I am looking into this and the exam availability is only 2 days out from when you go to schedule it?!

I was planning on scheduling one of them for the end of the month...won't have time this weekend to look into it.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    At Gbaker does that mean one free exam until you pass or one attempt for one exam?
  • GBAKER2204GBAKER2204 Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @N2IT. - I am not sure - it reads like a single exam, I have not used any codes yet, I am fairly sure that theothers on this forum asked the same questions about the other codes when they were posted.
    WIP: 2017 - VCP6.5-DCV (Achieved), VCAP6-DCV, Citrix CCA-V
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    Talking about cloud, I've just found that UDEMY is having a promotion with many courses for 10$, and one of them is for preparing for the Amazon Web Services Solution Architect certification: https://www.udemy.com/aws-certified-solutions-architect/?couponCode=DEAL1102&dtcode=93g5mwfh It ends this night pacific time.
    I know the starting price was not very high (50 bucks) but 10$ is not that bad, I was thinking about buying it but I've too much stuff and I think I should prioritize something else that could be more easily appreciated here in Europe (such as ITIL Foundation or CCNA or MCSA or something security related. or Linux+ or VCP or... :D)

I wish I would've seen this!
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • j23evanj23evan Member Posts: 135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I shouldnt be having an issue with this stupid VCA-WM... But I am. 280's-290's each time. =(

[TH="class: examStatusColumn"]Status [/TH]
    [TH="class: displayMobileOnlyView"]Select [/TH]

30 October 2013
    VCAW510
    VCA-WM
    Fail

23 October 2013
    VCAW510
    VCA-WM
    Fail

19 October 2013
    VCAD510
    VCA-DCV
    Expired

15 October 2013
    VCAW510
    VCA-WM
    Fail

https://vWrong.com - Microsoft Certified Trainer 2013-2018 - VMware vExpert 2014-2018 - Cisco Champion 2018 - http://linkedin.com/in/j23evan/
  • mguernseymguernsey Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got all three of the VCA certs, but the Cloud and Mobility cert tests were a little more complex than I had initially expected - the videos took around 5-6 hours each to go through (while taking notes), and I had 8 pages of typed notes for both Cloud and Mobility by the time I was finished, but they weren't what I consider to be all that detailed. There were just so damn many features that it was a little disconcerting to try and wrap my head around them and keep things straight. I can't imagine anyone taking these exams without notes of some sort. All I can say now is thank goodness I got them out of the way, because if I hadn't taken them I would have been annoyed with myself for passing up on some relatively easy resume fodder.
  • TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Same here, got all three certs and pretty much took them all cold, no prep work, kind of in between VCAP-DCD studies :). If it wasn't for the free VCA voucher, I don't think I would of paid for the exams.