CISSP Endorsement

TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi Guys...I'm currently studying for the CISSP and with my experience and current knowledge level, expect to take it in the not too distant future. That being said, I personally do not know any CISSP's to endorse me (assuming I pass). I see that ISC2 has a process for people that don't personally know any CISSPS, but I for some reason see that process taking longer than having someone actually endorse me. If I were to pass, would someone on here endorse me? (Obviously I would fill out and forward all the neccessary paperwork), or is that against the procedure/ethics?
* Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
* Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
* Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration

Comments

• beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    When I passed my CISSP. many years ago I really did not know anyone in the Security arena and had to go out to an ISACA meeting nearby. Felt more than a bit awkward basically cold calling people at meeting but I prevailed though I felt half mortified in the process of doing so.

You can self certify of course provided your on at least good terms with one's boss. Your boss can endorse you as well. At the time of my endorsement I literally worked "for my wife/owner" and that didn't exactly feel right to say the least. Owning a small company can be great but sometimes you run across these types of situations that become awkward at best. (*Meh*)

Your other obvious and since your hinting at the idea is to throw yourself to the TechExam board of wolves and see how many people will set up a call, go through your experience over the phone, perhaps provide some background certification verification and endorse you. Do it right for your own self-esteem as well. You never want to get a certification as important as the CISSP and feel as though you cut any corners. It just won't sit 100% right if you have any sort of conciseness. icon_redface.gif

Edit: Oh and I very much wish you GOOD LUCK on the exam!

- B Eads
  • Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    I did the SSCP with no one to "vouch" for me and I was approved in like 2 weeks, if that. It's not a long process at all in my opinion.
  • NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ISC2 has a lot of "local chapters" in metropolitan areas. Go to one and strike up a couple conversations...you shouldn't have a hard time finding someone to endorse you.

Find your local chapter here:
    https://www.isc2.org/chapters/default.aspx
  • redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It takes approximately the same amount of time. (ISC)2 does the endorsement process for concentrations themselves, no other-credential-holder-endorsement. It took ~6 calendar days longer than my CISSP, and ~3 calendar days longer than my CAP. That said, I understand that waiting is painful. I consider it the hardest part of the tests.

Now, after having spoken with 3 of the 5 supervisors/references listed on the resume, they said they hadn't been contacted. I would be willing to do your endorsement, but I won't cut any corners on it (I actually will call your previous supervisors to prove 4 years experience and verify your SEC+). This may actually make it take longer if your work history is full of contracts, like mine, and your references prove difficult to reach.

If you want me to do it, PM me, we'll set up a Google Hangout for the evening after you pass and try to get it done as quickly as possible.
  • TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I appreciate the input guys. I have the 5+ years experience, and the Sec+ as well. Most of my previous employers should be reachable, except the one supervisor I had when I was a Net Admin has since passed away, so unless a séance is done I doubt anyone will be reaching him. icon_wink.gif Sounds like the process of having ISC2 endorse you isn't as painful as I thought it might be, so perhaps I'll give that a shot.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
    TechGuy215 wrote: »
    except the one supervisor I had when I was a Net Admin has since passed away, so unless a séance is done I doubt anyone will be reaching him.
    Don't underestimate me.
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    How big is your current company. I went to linked in and put my company's name and cissp into the search and called people at my company.

If you haven't worked there long it might not work well though.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    TechGuy215 wrote: »
    Sounds like the process of having ISC2 endorse you isn't as painful as I thought it might be, so perhaps I'll give that a shot.
    I would also recommend that you let ISC2 do the verification. Even if you know someone, it can be quite an effort to follow the rules to endorse someone. The last time that I had to endorse someone, it took me nearly 3-4 weeks. And if I recall correctly, the colleague that endorsed me took about 8-10 weeks. One piece of advice, when you submit your CV, keep it simple to date, employer, contact, and related-domain. ISC2 will typically not want to wade through details of a resume. Good luck!
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    redz wrote: »
    Don't underestimate me.

I don't know about the others but I, for one, appreciate your sense of humor :D

If I were you, I would let ISC do it. One of our clients had a CISSP who mentioned that he was endorsed by them and it was quite the speedy process.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yep, I just did mine not too long ago and went the route through ISC (I didn't know any CISSPs well enough). It went through fine and it didn't take TOO long.
  • theroamingjoetheroamingjoe Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    f0rgiv3n wrote: »
    it didn't take TOO long.
    I'm on Day 26 and I'm ready to call Miss Cleo to see if she knows when my endorsement application will be done!!!
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hahahahahaha. I know the feeling roamingjoe... There was a reason i put the word "too" in all caps LOL. It was a bit nerve-racking to wait for it but it came through eventually!!
    I don't know about the other but I, for one, appreciate your sense of humor
    Honestly, Holy Man, I think I'm hilarious. I feel like most of my jokes around here fall on deaf ears, though. Tech Exams is a rather serious lot.

I don't really feel bad hijacking because I feel this question has been fully answered, however, TechGuy, if you feel the need to reach out to someone with regards to an endorsement, I am still willing to meet with you and do appropriate background research/etc for the endorsement. Actually, I can do the leg work beforehand and you can have your endorsement ready to roll for when you pass, if you'd prefer to do it that way.

I think the time frame is still the same, but it's all in that TE love and community.
  • HumbeHumbe Member Posts: 202
    redz wrote: »
    Honestly, Holy Man, I think I'm hilarious.

Don't push it Mr.

icon_twisted.gif