Certs or degree?

drogers81drogers81 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Which do you think is better? Certificates or a degree? I enjoy working on my certs much more than spending all the time for a computer degree. In the past I was thinking about going to get my network analyst degree...but would going through ccna and net + just be about the equal to that??

Comments

• 12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    i am struggling with the same question, and more detailed which is better

certs and experience

or

degree that isn't closely related and experience with certs

or

degree that is related no experience

or

degree that is related and experience with no or few certs

hmmm......
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • dmm37dmm37 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would go to a site like Monster Jobs or careerbuilders and compare what companies are asking for.

I see most want a Bachelor degree and some AAS, with both you better off. Some say college degree preferred and MCSE, CCNA...etc required.

David
  • rbowmanrbowman Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have searched monster and from monster it looks like most employeers dont even know what a cert is. Most of the jobs require a BS with at least 2 years xp or an AS with at least 5 years xp. It sucks if your just out of college cause your in a bit of what I like to call the "no win loop". You cant get a job unless you have experience and you cant get experience without a job >: |. Internships are also hard to come by or atleast in my area they are.
    if you were in this position what would you do?

5+ years experience
    B.S. in Business

would you?

go for certs

or

finish Master in C.S. prerequisites (2+ years) and then go for Masters in C.S (another 2+ years)

or

go for 2nd B.S. in C.S. and then go for Masters in C.S.

??????
  • rbowmanrbowman Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    chuchuchu wrote:
    go for 2nd B.S. in C.S. and then go for Masters in C.S.

I would go for that one but keep in mind Im only 22. I wonder what the older guys would have to say?

It is known as a job market so supply and demand is there too and the demand for B.S in C.S with at least 2 years xp is in very high demand for the IT/Networking field.[/b]
  • dmm37dmm37 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I went for an AAS in Network Administration and Support and that got me my first job. Building certifications on top of this will get you in higher paying jobs with 3-5 years experience, so IMO.Get a 2 year degree atleast and you will be accepted with certs and experience on top of it.

I have seen MCSE over power the degree requirements in some jobs.

David
    you guys make good points, yeah i am leaning towards mcsa, ccna and then go for b.s. in c.s. which should take no longer than three years.

lol, i got you beat by a decade in age. :D
  • jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    Well, I'm 36 and just starting college for the first time (never went after High School...mistake #1). In fact, I start Monday and will take about 2.5 years to get my BS Degree. I have A+ and MCP Certs and will be getting others while going to school. I figured that the BS would help land a better job down the road and I am gaining the experience at my current job that will be asked for later.

It's all your preference which you get first, and both will compliment the other and help out in the end.

It's hard to say which is more important and we've had that debate in another forum, but it comes down to getting both. It will definately help out in the job hunting.
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • jim_staszjim_stasz Member Posts: 123
    IMHO, get the Degree, and go for the BS not just the AS.

I started working right out of HS and didn't even start going to college until I was 30+. Working full time, family, school on and off part time I got my AS at 40. At 43, with a 2 year degree and a few certs I see guys / gals 1/2 my age, just out of college, starting at just a little less than what I make, because of their 4/6 year degrees. I am still marketable because of the 15+ years of IT experience. As time goes on the bar for education requirements will go higher and higher. My dad was able to reach Sr Mgmt without being a H.S. grad. I was able to do pretty well with a 2 year degree. The company I work at now won't let you in the door without a 4 year degree (or a boat load of experience) and they'd rather you have a masters. Get the degree.
  • rockstar81rockstar81 Member Posts: 151
    are there any degrees you can do online that are acceptable?
  • Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    You've got to have certs, degree, and experience to be competitive in today's job market.

I'd at least go for a 2 year degree and get your certs during the summer. I would guess that most college curriculum should overlap pretty well with the entry level certs.

If you're lucky enough to land a job with a two year and a couple of certs, you might be able to complete your 4 year degree on company money. If you don't find a full-time job, look for an internship and finish the 4 year degree. That way you'll have some experience to go with the degree when you finish. Plus if you perform well during the internship, you might have a job waiting on you at the current company.

Why didn't I come up with this advice for myself two and a half years ago? icon_rolleyes.gif
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
    rockstar81 wrote:

I believe that there are some, but make sure you do some serious research first. Big names like University of Phoenix and DeVry Institute might be accepted, but if you plan to do an online degree and then might transfer, contact the transfer school and ask them if they would accept credits from wherever the online degree would be from...There is nothing worse than putting all that time in and finding out it is for nothing. Also, a lot of colleges and universities offer online courses that could cut your time spent on campus way down...I am going to a local university for the Adult Continuing Education program to get my Bachelors Degree and several of my upcoming classes are entirely online and other are 1/2 online with only 2-hours on campus 1 day a week, so that's not too bad! icon_lol.gif
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • hawkeye_74hawkeye_74 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I started college (long term program) in 98, finished in 2003. I have a BS in MIS from Penn State. While in school, I got a part time job as a Sys Adm. at a small manufacturing company where I am still at (Over 6 years).

I cannot find a new job as everything that I find requires experience (or degree) with certification.

My view is that if you have the experience, I would go for the certifications because you can get them done faster, they are cheaper, and they are worth more (in my opinion). 6 to 8 years real life experience seems to be the equivilent of a 4 year degree.

I wouldn't bother with a master's degree at all ... unless you are looking for a non-IT management position.

just my two cents
    Jeff
    I'm stuck in a position where I don't get much Network Experience (I am a PC Technician, but they don't involve me in the network part of our job, and besides, it's a Novell network we run here). So, I am getting some Certs and a College Degree (just started yesterday on that one). Anyway, I was going for MCSE, but I may switch directions now and get other certs, MS Desktop Technician or MS Database Administrator instead. I don't want to have the certs, but not be able to perform the job. I'd rather get some network experience first, then go back for the MCSE...I am getting my MCSA though.

Oh well, I may be off-base with this post, and sorry about that!

My point was that I feel the College Degree will get me in the door faster now and hopefully allow me to get the real-world experience I need, then I'll finish my Certs.
  • hawkeye_74hawkeye_74 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Now that I have the degree ... certifications are as equally important.

But to get a better job or at least to have an arguement to get higher pay my recommendation is to concentrate on certificates get the job or higher pay ... then work on BS degree.

I agree with everyone else ... an AS degree doesn't help much.
    Jeff
  • KeferKefer Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hawkeye_74 wrote:
    Now that I have the degree ... certifications are as equally important.

I agree with everyone else ... an AS degree doesn't help much.

Agree; I got denied a helpdesk job b/c I do not have my A+ but I have a BS in IT --that is why I'm here now

As far as the AS, I disagree. I earned my AS at a technical college and I accredite 90% of my technical knowledge to that school. What I learned at the University was more theory and business oriented material.

I guess it is safe to say that employers look at it differently, so I see your point hawkeye--they see a person with a BS degree as someone who followed through with a long term goal and as such would be a greater asset to their company.
  • oldbarneyoldbarney Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    rockstar81 wrote:
    I suggest checking out community colleges and universities in your state for online degrees. The number of public institutions offering IT degrees that are attainable completely or partially through online, distance education grows every year.

In my opinion, while degrees from U of Phoenix and other popular "for profit" schools are becoming more acceptable to many employers, that "online" moniker, not to mention the expense, still remains an issue with some HR people.

Examples of online IT degrees at public schools:

BS in Information Systems Technology, University of Central Florida, $104/sh for FL residents. Requires an AS, AA or AAS to enroll.

BS in Information Networking and Telecommunications, Fort Hayes State University, Kansas, $130/sh for anyone.

BS in Telecommunications Systems Management, Murray State University, Kentucky, $242/sh for anyone.

AAS in Information Technology, Central Texas College, $46/sh for Texas residents.

AS in Information Sciences and Technology, Penn State University, $230/sh for anyone.

All of the above-named schools allow transfer of credit from other institutions.

Just check around the internet. The "for profit" schools are more well-known for their respective online programs primarily because they advertise more.
  • ESOKESOK Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Certs and Experience is what gets you in the door (aka Systems Administrator, Network Engineer, etc...).

Your degree is for promotion potential in the future (aka future promotion to IT Manager/CIO).

Most companies are looking for certs and experience to run Windows, Cisco, Linux, MS SQL, Oracle, etc.... Your college degree does NOT mean you can be a Windows System Admin., Cisco Network Engineer, etc... That is why if your resume shows up at HR with no certs and only a college degree in CIS or CS than it will often get dumped in the garbage. That is unless, you have an "connection" on the inside. WHO you know, is just as important as WHAT you know too.

You can either get a bunch a certs at first ( which is faster and cheaper ) then start working. Like become a MCSE: Security, CCNA, Security+, Linux+, Project+, etc... After you get some more money and experience then get your degree from an online college. Taking your Clep or GRE will get you a bunch of college credit and save you time. Or, you can get your degree first. While in college, you could get your MCSE/MCSA and/or CCNA for example. Having college usually mean you need less certification to impress HR. If you have a Masters in CIS or CS, than just 1 or 2 certs will make you look like "superman" to HR (as long as you can show some experience). If you did not go to college than you need LOTS of certs to impress HR. Like MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, RHCE, C|EH, PMP, etc..

The best of all worlds is to have all 3. Certifications, Experience, College... If you only have 1 or 2 "sides of the triangle" than you have a "weakness" that some other resume can beat.
  • moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yeah I am following diploma in computer network engineering 2 year course hoping it would help me land a decent job.
  • Mark40930Mark40930 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am currently obtaining my AAS degree in IT/Computer Network Systems at ITT Tech. Most of the IT jobs I have seen require a BA or BS in Computer Science + 2-3 years experience. Not all of them require certs but some state they would prefer applicants have MSCE and/or CCNA. There are a few that just require HS/GED & A+ certification.
    My network operating systems instructor had suggested I get at a minimum A+ and Network+ on top of the degree, with RHCP or MCSE as a good option. (He has those plus MCT)
    I hope to be able to take the Network+ exam shortly once I get the money for the test.
    So if you can, get both...would be worth it in the long run, plus it will help land those entry-level IT jobs which will build up your resume and give you good experience for the better jobs in the future.
    MarkJ