Options

multicast address 224.0.0.1

bikrambikram Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

How can i send any message to every pc to my local network using multicast address? is it possible using 224.0.0.1? I tried from dos mode using the net send command (net send 224.0.0.1 hello!), but it did not work. And how can i ping every pc of my LAN?

If possible please suggest me for the two cases.
Many thanks!!

Bikram.

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    [I'm surprised you have a CCNA and dont know this.
    You need to broadcast not multicast.Network 200.5.7.0/24, broadcast addess 200.5.7.255.You must be a **** user because it doesnt make sense you dont know this basic concept!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The net send may not recognize the multicast address for all systems on the subnet..... and it may be considered a security issue and may be disabled (finally) by default (hopefully) on most systems.

To ping, use the ping command. Again, it depends on the machines on the subnet.
    ping 224.0.0.1

should ping all the systems on the local subnet if they support it.

The 224.0.0.0 - 224.0.0.255 multicast range is reserved for link local traffic -- stuff like network control messages, the all systems on subnet, the all routers, etc...

Some idiot seems to have programed ping in XP to offer the suggestion when it sees a network broadcast address to use the -b options..... I now use the 224.0.0.1 to refresh the arp table to see whats out on the local subnet.
    ed_the_lad wrote:
    You need to broadcast not multicast.
    The multicast 224.0.0.1 should work -- but since a bunch of network people don't seem to know about it, no one seems to test it and tell the current network programmer's they missed something.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cheers Mike, news to me about this multicast range.Maybe i'll read about it when i study for the bcmsn after i nail this bcarn im working on.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    bikrambikram Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Mike and Ed!!

Actually I found from www.iana.org that to check every system in a subnet we use 224.0.0.1 (TTL=1) and to check every router in a subnet we use 224.0.0.2 (TTL=2)....then I tried using ping and netsend from my pc to check all system connectivity from my pc, but it did not work. if possible inform me how to do it.

Ed, thanks for your comment, i'll try to upgrade myself.
    Thanks!!

Bik
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    ed_the_lad wrote:
    [I'm surprised you have a CCNA and dont know this.
    You need to broadcast not multicast.Network 200.5.7.0/24, broadcast addess 200.5.7.255.You must be a **** user because it doesnt make sense you dont know this basic concept!

No need to be rude ed.
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No need to be rude ed.
    I think he's just being crabby from jet lag or the spicy Thai food.... he'll probably be fine in a week or two icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!