Options

School email is now "googled"

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
My education institution is migrating from their proprietary email system to a google mail this weekend. Ive run through the FAQ's and the tutorial on it, but I don't see anything different on my end as a student. I assume most of the difference is they have off loaded the hosting to a google cloud and there is probably some back end stuff to make their life easier, but I don't see much difference on my side.

Anyone else have a school that used google for their .edu mail service? I am just curious if there are some "cool new features" I am missing. I emailed the helpdesk, but I think they are as in the dark about it as most the students are. They said they would have a better idea in a weeks time lol.

Comments

• Options
    prampram Member Posts: 171
    It's email. If you have a gmail account it's exactly the same. Godspeed.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Your email admins can have options for Google Labs stuff, or opting in/out of beta apps. I believe that's the main difference...
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    The school opted in for Google's apps probably and thus get email free. They had to point specific dns records to google and it can do the rest. Google can integrate with their active directory so that you use the same password every where. I get my email this way at wgu and also at my previous school as well. If you use a pop client you may need to change some settings but beyond that business as usual.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Alot of schools are moving to Google, Apps for Educators is free.