Best security distro out there?

5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
I am looking for a linux security distro for beginners. I have tried backtrack and kile but they seem to be a bit advanced in some areas for my competency.

Any ideas or suggestions for a beginner linux securuty distro?

Comments

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What type of Linux experience do you have? Kali and Backtrack are fairly basic striped-down Linux distros. Most of the tools that are included in those distros would be the same in any other distro.
  • BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    Kali and Backtrack are fairly straightforward if all you want to do is run commands, plenty of tutorials via google for backtrack if you need to learn specific things. If you want to learn linux, there are several flavors and I would recommend pairing it with Linux+ from Comptia (which is like 3 certs in one really). I always find certs motivate me to learn things I might not normally, so it can be helpful. If you want to force yourself to learn, format your pc/lappy and install only that flavor of linux, but that's brutal lol. Good luck!
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    You can always build your own (add the tools you want), Kali is just an overload of tools, many of which you'll never use.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pentoo is also an option
    Pentoo
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    5502george wrote: »
    I have tried backtrack and kile but they seem to be a bit advanced in some areas for my competency.
    What exactly did you have trouble with?

Are you new to Linux? If you're new to Linux I suggest installing Fedora or Ubuntu and learning some Linux basics. These two distributions are easy to get started with and you can install common security tools from the official package repositories.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    You can always build your own (add the tools you want), Kali is just an overload of tools, many of which you'll never use.

Offensive Security has actually slimmed down a lot in the move from BTK to Kali. A lot of the redundant tools and functionality has been removed.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    It's usually best to not start with a security distro - CentOS and Ubuntu are a nice option so that you can see the different types of linux(although the Ubuntu part is a little debatable)
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you really want to learn, grab a distro and install the tools yourself
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff