is cbt nuggets a+ video enough to learn computer hardware?

p1xelsp1xels Member Posts: 114 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
Is CBT nuggets a+ video enough to learn computer hardware? Do i still need to enroll in practical classes? I dont want to give A+ exam ,only I want to pass the job interviews where Hardware knowledge is required.I also want to work in Networking field plus maintain computer hardware so that I can work as a PC technician as well.

Thanks
Regards

Comments

• SWtacomaSWtacoma Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IMO, the only way to truly know hardware is to work with it. Get an old desktop and take it apart and put it back together over and over again. Name every part inside the case including connections and the amount of pins etc... That is if you truly want to know hardware. I have worked with people who are amazing at troubleshooting software issues but couldn't take apart a laptop to save their life.
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Buy some cheap busted PC's off craigslist, a server or two (towers or blades), one of each type of printer (Inkjet, Laser, thermal), laptop or two...as long as they use SATA drives the technology should be new enough to match whats on the exam. Skip the 802 study material if all you want to learn is hardware since the 802 is mostly troubleshooting/windows based questions.

Keep it all cheap or free, it shouldn't be too difficult. Tear it all apart as you get time, learning what each part is, where each cable goes, what each slot is, etc...Watch the professor messer videos and read a book. That will be more than enough to get the job done for that interview.
  • SWtacomaSWtacoma Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Agreed. Also in my area there are computer recyclers where you can go and get really cheap hardware that may or may not be working. But just having hands on experiance is going to be the key.
  • 403Forbidden403Forbidden Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SWtacoma wrote: »
    IMO, the only way to truly know hardware is to work with it. Get an old desktop and take it apart and put it back together over and over again. Name every part inside the case including connections and the amount of pins etc... That is if you truly want to know hardware. I have worked with people who are amazing at troubleshooting software issues but couldn't take apart a laptop to save their life.

This is so true, especially the latter portion. You can watch videos, look in a book and read everything there ever was to know about baseball but when you get out onto the field you can't catch or throw a ball. The same is true for hardware, looking at pictures, learning about it is fine. You'll really need to get your hands on some hardware to feel it and see what's goes where and why certain things are in a particular place and why you take things apart in a particular order in the case of laptops... considering they are all different -_- some times it is a pain, but having taken apart many before you should be well equipped to know where to start.... RTM (Read the Manual).