Options

Alternative to CEH

WagnaardWagnaard Member Posts: 124
Hello,

So I failed the CEH 7 by 1 question, and the EC Council will not let me retake the exam until I get the score from the testing center (I probably had the sheet and lost it, since it didn't occur to me that they'd require it to retake it). The testing center, not owing me anything, has been completeley not responsive on getting a copy of my score sheet.

Any alternatives to CEH? I invested some time and effort into it, but I'm not going into the offensive security business. I mainly wanted it because the DoD has made it a valuable cert to have. Should I keep trying to take it or go after the CISM or CISSP or are there any other technical security certs to have?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    What position do you hold according to 8570? The CEH is only valuable in DoD if you're holding a CNDSP position. You're asking about technical certs but mentioning managerial certs (CISSP, CISM)... What position are you ultimately trying to get?
  • Options
    BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    DoD 8570 Information Assurance Workforce Improvement Program might provide you with alternatives. Just depends on what position you are looking for like da_vato said above.
  • Options
    Good questions. I don't have any hard career plans. I already have a job, I just wanted to be prepared for any opportunities that come along.

So EC Council has my money for a retake but not say they will not let me take the exam until I "Provide physical proof that I took the exam". I must admit to being somewhat confused. I dont have the paperwork, and I can't imagine anyone being wrong about passing/failing the exam.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    log onto the exam providers website and look at the candidate history. Might be able to get your proof there.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That would show pass/fail but not a score which is what EC-Council is interested in, I'm assuming, due to how close it was to being a pass.

I would look like mad for the testing score print out or keep bugging your testing center for a copy. I believe they should provide you with another if needed.

I'm surprised EC-Council is putting up walls and making it difficult for a retest. I would've thought they could have smelled another $500 a mile away.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I tend to disagree, they need proof you took the test, the vue provider report will suffice, if they give you crap, contact the EC-Council President Jay on LinkedIn. As for that testing center being a *, complain to the Vue/Prometric, and the BBB.

As for alternatives, If I could guess, DoD will move away from test only certs for CNDSP positions, I think you may see the QEH and the OSCP in the next revision.
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    PWB / OSCP is another entry level hacking course. However, its more hands on than CEH is. Where CEH tests your knowledge of the material...OSCP will test your skills and persistence.

@SephStorm...I hadn't heard that about upcoming DoD cert requirements...but I think it would be a smart idea. As someone who previously worked for the DoD...I can tell you there is a whole lot of **** that get passed around those offices, and as a result, a whole lot of under-qualified people.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    This is by no means set in stone, I read an article that DoD was looking at more hands on certs in the area, I assume if that happens there will be an 8570 update.
  • Options
    They are very slow to respond. I had gone to the Vue site and gotten my results there and sent it on the other day, haven't heardback since.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Call 505-341-3228.

That number always worked for me when I needed a question or a response dealt with.

They were useless with email for the most part.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    wikigetwikiget Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1. All IA positions will link to the IAT or IAM lines, so meeting those reqs would take priority over the CNDSP line.

2. The 8570 will be replaced by the NICE system. Specific certs have not been identified, but it will require certs to be ANSI accredited to be eligible (which is why eCouncil was pushing CEHs accreditation through for vicon_cool.gif.
    "Once upon a time, disks were floppy, administrators were electricians and computers were louder then jets. Then it all got complicated." -Anon

Life of a Network Security Manager: http://imgur.com/kKvmgjj
  • Options
    Set now. They changed it to a version 8 voucher. Now I need to find study material for version 8.

Yays.

Thank you for the advice guys. I'll check some of these out. I think I'd like to position myself for a security role, should any become available.
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    GCIH is CEH without the Incident Handling Coverage, you can self study for it with Ed SKoudis Counter Hack Reload and Hacker Techniques, Tools, And Incident Handling.
  • Options
    That one looks interesting, though pricey. I think its a grand for the exam?
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yes, but its worth the ROI if you can pass the challenge exam (999USD). My salary jump was like 40% for 2 GIAC Certs. 50% for another of my colleague with GCIH with a degree. This is a good jump from our first job,but our starting salary for our first job is pretty low so we that is why we have a high % jump.
  • Options
    Spoke too son. They told me weeks ago that they'd change it to v8 voucher, after I paid for the v7. Now the same people are saying they never heard of me, and a conversation takes days to get a response. Horrible customer service. I learned a lot during my studies, but now I'm wishing I had gone with something other than EC Council.
  • Options
    Now they want 200 bucks to do it. First it was free, now it'll cost 200 bucks more.