2008 or 2012 MCSA?

rizzo777rizzo777 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all

I've been out of the game for a while. I have a 70-290 cert then decided to take a job that stalled my experience. I want to.continue to get a MCSA but confused to either go 08 or 12. Opinions and suggestions please! Thanks

Comments

• Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IMO i think going for the MCSA 2008 is just a waste of time and money i do note the fact that many organizations are still on 2008 but if in a few years organizations maybe decide to upgrade to 2012 then you will also have to upgrade your cert to 2012 as well which is a waste of time and money, so rather stay current go for 2012 and i think there is some overlap between the two and there is some future benefits. I am voting for 2012.
  • BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    Recommend 2012 unless you just have to have that MCSA:2008 title. (Some people like to have multiple generations of cert titles) You'll probably end up upgrading it to 2012 if you are trying to stay current. Good luck!
  • sacredboysacredboy Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    rizzo777 wrote: »
    Hello all

I've been out of the game for a while. I have a 70-290 cert then decided to take a job that stalled my experience. I want to.continue to get a MCSA but confused to either go 08 or 12. Opinions and suggestions please! Thanks
    To the best of my recollection 31 January 2014 is a deadline for any sort of 2008 certifications. Therefore, you won't have much time for preparation. I have also woke up too late for 2008 certification, and for this reason will try the newest one i.e. 2012.
    Best, sacredboy!
  • lamha88lamha88 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not to beat a dead horse.... The Jan deadline is specifically for the MCITP titles. The MCSA: 2008 (which is essentially the MCITP:SA renamed) will still be attainable after that date. The only thing you wouldn't be able to attain would be the MCITP:EA. Personally, I'm going for the MCSA:2008. I have full exposure to the platform at work, so that's my main motivator. I will eventually upgrade via the 70-417 route. Its one extra exam, but its two titles for the resume (I'm one of the people bgraves mentioned). If you've been out of the game and aren't working with either, just shoot for the newest. It'll probably be more efficient and less expensive if you went the 2012 route, and the end result will still be the MCSA title.
  • dspielmandspielman Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would definitely go for MCSA 2012. Server 2012 and R2 are such a big improvement over 2008 especially if you plan on using HyperV.