Passed 801 and 802!

TerrieTerrie Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
I decided to take my exams back to back, since I tend to breeze through these kind of exams. (I was well known for napping through my SATs because I finished each section early). Some thoughts:

-It helps to think of the exams as one exam in two parts, because you can't really separate all the topics completely. I swear, I had one question that appeared on both exams.

- I wish I'd really crunched on ALL the CLI commands, rather than just the more common ones. I, of course, got simulation questions that focused on those two or three commands I was weakest with. This was especially difficult in the simulations, because you have to do it the way they want, even if it's not the only way. I tend to lean more heavily on the GUI-based tools, because I'm dyslexic, and, please, let me tell you how much I hate Fixedsys. Knowing my commands better would have freed up brain power to deal with the god-awful interface.

- Like too many multiple choice tests (and as someone who's written them, this is something I always notice), there are some very poorly written questions. One question included a phrase structured "adjective noun and noun" which left me going "Wait, do they mean "adjective noun and adjective noun" or "adjective noun, and noun"? Oh, and the meaning was significantly different, depending on which it was. It's hard to answer a question when you're not actually sure what the question is.

-They wouldn't let me wear my analog watch, because "There are smart watches that look like analog ones now. There's no way to tell." Which is bizarre, because I wear a watch where you can hear the gears click. I could wear this watch for the LSAT and the bar exam, and they require a thumbprint for their records, they're so worried about cheating.

Ah, well. I passed, with a fairly cushy margin, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Comments

• --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Terrie wrote: »
    I decided to take my exams back to back, since I tend to breeze through these kind of exams. (I was well known for napping through my SATs because I finished each section early). Some thoughts:

-It helps to think of the exams as one exam in two parts, because you can't really separate all the topics completely. I swear, I had one question that appeared on both exams.

- I wish I'd really crunched on ALL the CLI commands, rather than just the more common ones. I, of course, got simulation questions that focused on those two or three commands I was weakest with. This was especially difficult in the simulations, because you have to do it the way they want, even if it's not the only way. I tend to lean more heavily on the GUI-based tools, because I'm dyslexic, and, please, let me tell you how much I hate Fixedsys. Knowing my commands better would have freed up brain power to deal with the god-awful interface.

- Like too many multiple choice tests (and as someone who's written them, this is something I always notice), there are some very poorly written questions. One question included a phrase structured "adjective noun and noun" which left me going "Wait, do they mean "adjective noun and adjective noun" or "adjective noun, and noun"? Oh, and the meaning was significantly different, depending on which it was. It's hard to answer a question when you're not actually sure what the question is.

-They wouldn't let me wear my analog watch, because "There are smart watches that look like analog ones now. There's no way to tell." Which is bizarre, because I wear a watch where you can hear the gears click. I could wear this watch for the LSAT and the bar exam, and they require a thumbprint for their records, they're so worried about cheating.

Ah, well. I passed, with a fairly cushy margin, so I guess I can't complain too much.

I am glad I am not the only one with a poorly worded question or two :) I was thinking I must be real off on the question because I dont get stuck like this...

Also I think the "watch" thing depends on the testing center. The center I used was pretty lax (they let me wear my fleece in with my wallet/phone in my pocket), but they could also see the room very clearly and had someone watching. My back was too them, and there were no windows so it would be quite difficult to sneak some **** sheets into view without them seeing. I think the layout of the testing center makes a big difference on how strict they are with the rules.

I have to ask, LSAT and BAR...then A+? What field are you in?
  • TerrieTerrie Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's more what field I used to be in. I was a law librarian. Guess what positions are seen as excess overhead in today's economy?

I suspect that the watch thing was because they couldn't see us clearly, and it's easier to have an across the board policy than to actually make decisions about which ones were okay.
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Congratulations!

Nice Job!
  • 403Forbidden403Forbidden Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Keep up the good work!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63