Options

Meyers's/Exam Cram2

fugi1fugi1 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
i'm about to purchase a Network+ book but i'm not sure whether to get the Exam Cram 2 or the Mike Meyers's all-in-one. Exam Cram 2 is cheaper and half the size of Mike's and it's dated Dec 2002, whereas the much larger Mike's is dated Jan 02'. Do you think that's of any significance?

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What edition is Mikes book? If it is 2nd edition then it is current to the exam - don't forget to check totalsem for eratta
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    it is the 2nd edition, i'm just wondering whether it's worth spending a bit extra purchasing that one or getting the cheaper and much smaller exam cram 2.
  • Options
    standupdoublestandupdouble Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just passed my Network+ 4 days ago. I used Mike Meyers passport for Network+ and Exam Cram2. I also got the AIO from the library to brush up on a couple weak areas.
    Of the three, Exam Cram2 was the best for exam preparation. AIO was the most through but Meyers attempts at humor wear thin sometimes. For someone with some experience in networks, Exam Cram2 alone is probably good enough. For an outsider like me a lightweight book like Passport, to give you a starting overview, first is a good idea.
    Don't discount the notes on these pages. They offer a concise explanation that is perfect for review before the test.
  • Options
    Good points there standupdouble - a very accurate assessment.
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used the passport book for the Net+ exams. There were some holes in the material that it covered.

If you are new to networking, I would suggest finding a different book.

If you have 1-2 years experience, the passport book should be good.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    cos i have no real experience in networking and the fact i find it very tough, i think i'll go for the Network+ for dummies to start.
  • Options
    GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    Most of the reviews I've read said that Meyer's Net+ will you teach you about networking, but doesn't really prepare you for the exam, mostly due to it's unrepresentative practice questions. However, the Sybex book by David Groth seems to be hailed as the "only one you need", although that never seems to be quite right.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    which Meyer's book are you refering to? The Passport or the All-in-One?

I would go with the All-in-One book or the Sybex Study Guide over the Dummies book.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    What's wrong with the Dummies book? I've read customer reviews on amazon that it's highly recommended and some that say it stinks. It seems that there's mixed reviews on all books
  • Options
    cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    I also agree with standupdouble that the Exam Cram 2 book on Network+ is very good. It was very thorough, and I do not believe there was a single area I did not understand after reading it. It will definitely help you pass the test.

Cheeblie
  • Options
    GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    It was the All-In-One that I heard bad reviews for. I was looking at it after having thought so highly of the A+ book, I figured his Net+ would be good to.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • Options
    I used Mikes AIO and his Learnkey CBTS - 2 weeks study and I was ready for the exam. That was with basically no prior networking experience.
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    RussS, when you passed your net+, did you feel like a qualified network tech despite having no networking experience?
  • Options
    Heck no. I felt like I had a basic grasp of how networking works, but in reality I considered myself at a level that I could then start to really learn about networking.
    I am still without 'real' experience, however I am comfortable that I could slot in somewhere in a Network Admin position and hold my head high. That confidence comes from a solid year of playing around with NT4, W2000 Server and RedHat8 configured as a multi use server - installing and running different network configurations on my lab and experimenting with things like using my old 486 as a firewall, borrowing some NICs from a friend and setting up a Token Ring system, installing and configuring various remote admin progs like Putty, VNC, Remote Admin etc, using assorted network tools such as Retina and Ethereal, and basically knowing that no matter how well you understand or know a certain subject, there is ALWAYS someone who you can learn from icon_smile.gif
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    and basically knowing that no matter how well you understand or know a certain subject, there is ALWAYS someone who you can learn from :)
    That couldn't have been said any better way. No matter how much you know, there's always someone that knows more. I need to go find that person and ask him to teach me. :D

Cheeblie
  • Options
    haha. but it aint THAT person cheeblie - it is every tech you come across.
    No matter what you do in life you should learn from everyone you come into contact with - mostly you learn what NOT to do icon_rolleyes.gif , but it is all good in building a well rounded attitude and a well developed set of ethics.
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    standupdoublestandupdouble Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    One more thought on the Exam Cram2 book, the tests in the back seemed to be on just about the same level as the actual test. My scores on the practice exams averaged 90% and I scored an 806 on the test. The test on this site was also very representative. Between the two test tests in the Exam Cram2 book and the one test here, you should have a good measure of how you'll do on the actual exam.
    As for the test on the CD that comes with Exam Cram2, it was far more difficult and I only scored a 71% on it. At the end it says you need a 95% for mastery of the exam material and offers to sell three more tests. My advice, skip it. It will only mess with your head.