Windows AIK

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hey TE, I have voiced my disappointment a few times on here with my employers unwillingness to automate the deployment of new workstations. This eats up a few hours a week minimum, sometimes a day or two depending on what is going on.

I have told them I will come up with a solution, ensure it works and then teach our support guys in India how to use it properly. They were receptive to the idea, and gave me room to get the job done.

I am starting this thread with the hope that some of the more experienced desktop support people can chime in with their input on this subject. I would really appreciate it!

In our windows deployments, its 90% win 7. We have to install 4 proprietary software, one requires the use of a VBscript to be run before it can be installed. I am not certain that part can be automated (can it?). On top of that, we install office 2010/2013 (depending on if win 7 or win xp) and lync 2010/2013. After that we ensure all the flash, java, etc updates are performed then we run through the initial software "registration" screens.

All of that is done, after we add the PC to our domain and assign a custom name to the workstation. I would like to automate this part to make remote installs easier.

Can all of this be automated? I am D/L AIK for win 7 right now to test this with, but are there other programs or third party programs that might be better suited for this?

Comments

• sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I highly recommend you getting this book.
    Deployment Fundamentals, Vol. 1: Migrating to Windows 7 using MDT 2010 Lite Touch and WDS: Johan Arwidmark, Mikael Nyström: 9781451570038: Amazon.com: Books

To answer your questions.
    1. You need MDT + WAIK/ADK.
    2. You can run any scripts in any order before installing software. If you know silent install switches for your programs (or if they come in MSI packages), it's very easy to automate the install.
    3. Flash and Java can be easily installed. You can keep the newest updates on the MDT server.
    4. Naming PCs is easy when using MDT database. You can specify any configuration based on computer's MAC address, default gateway and a bunch of other settings.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Why not make a master image with all of that already installed and deploy it out as a thick image? You could also use WDS or SCCM 2012 if you want to get in depth. Also there is MDT which allows for automation of the parts you are referring to. MDT allows you to create task sequences that will install software, join domain, and many other things. I would check those out and see where that gets you.
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    sratakhin wrote: »
    I highly recommend you getting this book.
    Deployment Fundamentals, Vol. 1: Migrating to Windows 7 using MDT 2010 Lite Touch and WDS: Johan Arwidmark, Mikael Nyström: 9781451570038: Amazon.com: Books

To answer your questions.
    1. You need MDT + WAIK/ADK.
    2. You can run any scripts in any order before installing software. If you know silent install switches for your programs (or if they come in MSI packages), it's very easy to automate the install.
    3. Flash and Java can be easily installed. You can keep the newest updates on the MDT server.
    4. Naming PCs is easy when using MDT database. You can specify any configuration based on computer's MAC address, default gateway and a bunch of other settings.

Many thanks!

It also just occurred to me that some of this may be covered in a MCTS exam, if so which one?
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Why not make a master image with all of that already installed and deploy it out as a thick image? You could also use WDS or SCCM 2012 if you want to get in depth. Also there is MDT which allows for automation of the parts you are referring to. MDT allows you to create task sequences that will install software, join domain, and many other things. I would check those out and see where that gets you.

Thank you as well. Ill be busy for awhile sorting threw this :)
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    --chris-- wrote: »
    Many thanks!

It also just occurred to me that some of this may be covered in a MCTS exam, if so which one?

I think that's in 680, at least I remember studying that stuff for the exam.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    --chris-- wrote: »
    Many thanks!

For the basics checkout the 70-680 for more indepth deployment checkout 70-686.