Options

New Laptop Advice

2»

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well, your wife is an exception to what I'm saying, really, which was not directed at you in particular. For someone who wants Final Cut, there's really very little choice. The 15'' MBP is the laptop to get.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Well, your wife is an exception to what I'm saying, really, which was not directed at you in particular. For someone who wants Final Cut, there's really very little choice. The 15'' MBP is the laptop to get.

Sorry, I didn't think it was directed at me just stating more or less what you said. I didn't have a choice in laptops so that was why my $3k is gone. I hope its a bad@ss laptop for the money we paid.
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm usually more of a Lenovo or Dell guy (Dell business series, anyway), but if you like the look of the MBP but not necessarily the OS or the price tag, you should look at the HP Envy series. I'm not a big fan of HP, but they basically ripped off Apple on the design of their Envy laptops, and they're available with an i7.

Something like this:

HP ENVY 17t-j000 Quad Edition Notebook PC | HP® Official Store

I can personally vouch for the smoothness and ergonomics of the keyboard and trackpad. If I didn't already have my IdeaPad, I'd probably buy one.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Yep, I made an edit. Pretty impressive. I'd wait for reviews, professional and shopper, for both products, however. One iteration of the MBP had serious screen problems (plenty of other Macbooks as well), and Dell has certainly had its share of problems. The MBP still has a couple minor advantages, but nothing to justify the price (unless you have some need for OS X), so if qualitative analysis and reliability are good, the XPS 15 line looks really, really solid.

One other thing is my understand is that Apple has done a decent job making Retina resolution actually usable and useful. Microsoft, less so. Hence, wait for reviews. For the price difference, though, I'd probably opt for the middle-tier, $1,849.99 Dell if the resolution is no good.

Apple was wise to drop the price, but they should have upped the RAM or something as well. The IRIS Pro-only 15'' is $2,000 for 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD. Crazy.

I have 8GB RAM, 256SSD in my 13" MBP Retina and didn't spend $2,000 and I also got the VGA and Ethernet adapters and magic mouse at the time.

Real Engineers use Mac /discussion lol
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have 8GB RAM, 256SSD in my 13" MBP Retina and didn't spend $2,000 and I also got the VGA and Ethernet adapters and magic mouse at the time.
    13'' is not suitable for me, which is why I referred to the 15''. I mean, neither is 256GB or 8GB, but regardless, I don't see what your 13'' has to do with my point. The 15'' MBP is $2,000 and comes with the specs I listed. That's too much, even on top of Macs already being too much. The 13'' line is overall much more reasonably and competitively priced, compared to non-Mac alternatives.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I had a Dell XPS laptop last year that had so many hardware issues Dell quickly retired it and introduced a new design/model.

XPS 15z Laptop Details | Dell

The fans would kick in if you did anything, it got hot surfing the web, the DVD drive died soon after. I had pretty good luck with Dell laptops previously but Dell kept switching things up to try and sell hardware and I picked a really bad year I guess.