Options

Please critique my resume

jhsmith205jhsmith205 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm looking for an entry level help desk job. I have a little experience that's more tech support. What do you guys think. I'm currently studying for a+. Should I put that on there, or leave it for the interview?Skills
Ø Installationand configuration of Microsoft Windows Operating systems
Ø Proficientin Microsoft Office
Ø 50wpm typing speed
Ø Excellentoral and written communication skills
Ø Customerservice focused attitude and temperamentØ Hardwareand software troubleshooting
Ø Basicnetworking
Ø Experiencewith Remedy ticketing system
Ø Experiencein effectively handling inbound/follow-up calls and providing high qualityservice
Ø Abilityto communicate technical concepts effectively, while taking into considerationthe varying degrees of customers' technical experience.
Education
2013-Present ITT TechnicalInstitute Bessemer, AL
Associate Degree- Network Systems Administration
Anticipated graduation date 2015

Experience
2010-Present Magid Glove and Safety Fairfield, AL
Position: Customer Service/Support

Ø ProvideCustomer Service
Ø Assistwith shipping and receiving various goods
Ø Performdata entry and work with multiple ticketing systems(proprietary)
Ø Order,manage, and maintain appropriate stock levels
Ø Performinventory and delivery of industrial safety equipment

2008-2010 SITEL Birmingham, AL
Position: Technical Support Representative

Ø Providedtechnical support for Verizon Wireless customers
Ø Performeddata entry and assisted customers with account specific information
Ø Performedvarious troubleshooting steps, and maintained a high first call resolution
Ø Workedwith Voice Over IP, Remedy Ticketing Systems, and Microsoft Office software
2006-2008 Teletech
Position:
TechnicalSupport Representative Fairfield, AL

Ø Providednationwide technical support for Verizon DSL and dial-up internet
Ø Assistedwith TCP/IP and routing issues and multiple types of routers and modems
Ø Workedwith Remedy ticketing system
Ø Performeddata entry
Ø Workedwith Voice Over IP systems
Ø Assistedcustomers with home networking, and configuration issues
Ø Performedvarious troubleshooting steps and maintained a high first call resolution
Im currently studi

Comments

• Options
    403Forbidden403Forbidden Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It takes a lot of courage to post a resume on a forum like this and ask for help, good on you though. A lot of people here are more than willing to help you out and it never hurts to get different perspectives and ideas from some people that might be hiring managers!

As for the critique, I won't go over everything but what I think is the biggest point. (Assuming the forum screwed up the formatting..)
    The content looks good, but the wording could use some work, I'll give you some ideas that you might want to think about below:

Perhaps instead of saying things like "Experience" and "Performed" try going with something that shows it.
    Which one looks better?
    "Resolved customer tickets by troubleshooting log in, network access, and hardware issues."
    "Performed troubleshooting steps to assist customers."

Another good tip is that "Experience" happens to you, everyone has experience doing certain things. What makes you stand out? What makes your experience more valuable to the employer than the other guy that has the same certs/years of experience that you do?

"Led a rapid response disaster team in recovering data center from major crash affecting 1,000 clients in less than 3 hours."
    "Resolved server issues affecting clients."

I give some out there examples but it is just to show you that giving the person reading your resume an idea of what you have done for others can give them an idea of what you can do for them. Avoid repetitive phrases and words from line to line, try to reword things differently to stray away from sounding like a broken record.

All of the line items you have listed are great things to list, don't get me wrong. Perhaps just elaborate a bit more in what you DID that made you want to post that particular line item, try to keep it short and sweet though while still driving home the point.

Hope I helped you some and don't be a stranger :)
  • Options
    SolitonSoliton Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Could you post your resume in .docx or .pdf format? That way we can also critique your formatting and style as well. The only thing I see so far is that your experience descriptions use pretty generic wording. You overuse words like "Performed" and "Worked with".

To correct that, I would re-write your experience with more details, be more specific.

Other than that, not too bad at all.
    ~ A+ - Passed ~ CCNA - In Progress
    Your Recommended daily dose of security and privacy -> My Blog
  • Options
    dspielmandspielman Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Since you have some experience you should put your education below your experience. I'd also get rid of your abilities and expand on the details of the positions you had. I'd add summaries to what you did there rather than just list the tasks associated.