Resume, question/tips

IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
That's my resume as of right now, aiming towards Help desk/desktop support, entry network support. I live in PR, so more than likely any place I may work at, I'd have to fill in a couple of roles, since the job market in IT is so small. Eventually I'd like to get more into Network Engineering later in the future, whether it be focused on data centers, ISPs, or enterprise...still too early to focus on that aspect.

I'd like to thank anyone who has ever posted a resume thread here, I've seen a lot of them and I've taken cues as well. Especially want to thank, and give the format ( although slightly altered ) credit to Ptsilen. Credit where credit is due, this community has always been great.

My main concern right now, is where to put my education, on the bottom or on top. I haven't completed it yet, but I expect to graduate my BS in May 2014. Any other tips/advice is more than welcome.

Comments

• jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd change the boxes to bullets. Looks too much like a checklist at first. Maybe I'm just being nitpicky.

Id also state your nature of discharge (I'm assuming its honorable).

Also, put any leadership courses or training you may have had as an NCO and relate it to supervisory duties in everyday work settings.

Id keep the education where it right now since its still in progress. Maybe put how many hours you've completed so far (ex: 105 out of 120 hours awarded as of...).
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good points, yep, it's an honorable discharge. The hours is a good catch, I overlooked that detail, and just opted for the May 2014 expected, but the hours is a fact, instead of a hypothetical. I didn't have any special courses or training, as I was a reservist, and I left on my 6 yr mark, didn't get the chance to go to Cpls course either. I'll try the bullets instead of the checkmarks, see how they look.

Thanx
  • BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    Ismaeljrp, I'd love to give you some help with your resume if you're open to it! If you would be interested, PM me your email and I'll get in touch with you! If not, no worries but after looking over what you've got now I think I could be of some assistance!
    BGraves wrote: »
    Ismaeljrp, I'd love to give you some help with your resume if you're open to it! If you would be interested, PM me your email and I'll get in touch with you! If not, no worries but after looking over what you've got now I think I could be of some assistance!

Sent you a PM
    New revision. Help or tips for further improvement welcome.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    BGraves wrote: »

Please share the info here so everyone can benefit from it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • 403Forbidden403Forbidden Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not sure if it was just open office, but the new one is two pages long and the second page is just one little snippet regarding your BS.
    It displays as 1 page for me. An improvement over the first draft.

Under your work experience, it says "leader if Marines..."

Should that be "leader of Marines..."?
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    This is looking better, but remember attention to detail is of the utmost importance.

- Right now i see some improper capitalization: VLANs, VirtualBox, TeamViewer
    - Also, why did you capitalize "Excellent People Skills" and not the rest?
    - The word 'native' has extra spaces inside the parenthesis that do not belong there
    - Spell out CCNA. Helps with the evil resume scanning apps
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    One suggestion I have is to list out some of your relevant courses you've taken under your degree. Since at this point some of your classes should be more advanced than your experience, it will help to show employers that your education brings specific value towards the positions you're applying for.

This also is a great conversation starter during interviews that sets you up to easily speak to your strengths.
    Thanx for the input everyone keep em coming. Right now I'm fixing some of the writing, thanks Cyber. jvrlopez, thanks for that catch, I actually noticed it right after posting my last revision. Akaricloud, that seems like a good idea. Can anyone else comment on this idea ? Only thing is should I replace some of my experience with that ? CyberguyPR, usually I write in parenthesis like this ( parenthesis ). With 1 space on each end, I do it out of habit though don't know if that's correct. I changed it to no spaces. Current with some fixes.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Bad habit or bad teacher. Those spaces are an absolute mistake. Put a space before the opening parenthesis, and either a space or a punctuation mark after the closing parenthesis. You do not put a space after the opening or before the closing parenthesis. It stands out like a sore thumb and would make any overly **** resume reviewer (such as myself) count it as an error, therefore destroying the magic and beauty of an otherwise perfectly crafted resume.
    Perhaps change the tense of your military duties to past tense? You're no longer performing the duties presently. Just a thought.
    Right, I have sort of a mix of present and past tense.

So far I feel it's coming along, and big thank you to all involved. Since I'm no expert in terms of grammar, I'll google my doubts and fix anything accordingly, there may still be a couple of mistakes.

I'll post my revisions in PDF format from here on out. I checked it out with LibreOffice, and it does indeed open differently. PDF should alleviate that.