Anyone here take the Certified Computer Examiner (CCE) Guided Self-Study course?

NS21NS21 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just got approval from my job (aka they said they would foot the bill) for the training. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with it or could offer any friendly words of advice?

Link for thoes interested: Computer Forensic Training Center Online

Cheers!

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I've always wanted to do the CCE. I see it on the resumes of a lot of very experience digital forensics people. I was looking at this course, but would need to scrounge up the time and money to do it.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Definitely considering it once we hit our go live date as I think it will prove useful in future duties.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • samurai86samurai86 Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I almost took it. I applied to take it got accepted but decided not to. This was probably a year or two ago. The reason why I chose not to, in my opinion, I thought their approach was a little bit old and I did not see an immediate benefit for my current job. Maybe they have modified, but I have not checked since then.

With that said this exam will test your knowledge of how to conduct forensics examinations, and how to create a report of the evidence if I recall correctly. I believe it is more than just a multiple choice test.
    Bachelor's of Applied Science in Technology Management - Information Security Assurance (St. Petersburg College)
    Masters of Science in Digital Forensics (University of Central Florida)
  • NS21NS21 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I started the course this past week, Its very controlled... You get an instructor for a year, and you have to complete 7 modules... you get access to a modules materials and when you are ready you email the instructor to unlock the first exam. If you pass you get access to the next modules material... and so on and so forth. Once you complete everything I believe you are then 'authorized' to sit for the exam. From what I read they say there is about 6-12 months worth of material in the course. The course if definitely taking the view of a zero-knowledge audience, which can be a bit off-putting at first but I am just trucking through it.
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    How much did the course cost ?
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• NS21NS21 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Maybe I can allocate some money in 2014 last quarter !
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• Psyco32Psyco32 Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How well is this certification recognized? After taking the GCFA, forensics has definitely piqued my interest. However doing a Monster search seems to come up with jobs that have more tool specific (EnCase, FTK, etc) certification requirements.

@ NS21: If you already have some forensics knowledge is it possible to test out of areas?

@ JD: JD, how was the EnCase cert? Did it just focus on the tool and/or did it have legal/court training requirements also?
    2014 GOALS
    > GMOB [MAR_2014] OSCP [MAY_2014] GREM [OCT_2014]
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The written part was everything but the tool, and the practical part was all about using the tool to locate and examine digital evidence and writing the report. I took the EnCEv6; I assume the EnCEv7 is the same, but uses EnCase v7.

My EnCE blogs articles explain the details:
    The EnCase Certified Examiner (EnCE) Certification Experience - TechExams.net IT Certification Blogs
    The EnCase Certified Examiner (EnCE) Certification Experience - The Practical Exam - TechExams.net IT Certification Blogs

I should say that having the EnCE on my resume and LinkedIn page has not resulted in many interview requests for myself as a forensics examiner. Experience is still king in the digital forensics arena.