vCenter Server <- Client Login

sendalotsendalot Member Posts: 328
After following,
Building the Ultimate vSphere Lab – Part 9: ESXi | Boerlowie's Blog

I have come to the step to access my vCenter service via the desktop client.

However, I put in the ip address of the VC that was generated during the steps, which is 10.0.0.100 and used my VCAdmin account info.

But I am somehow not being able to login.

Is there some default login settings I am not aware of?

Thanks.

Comments

• Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    try "whateveryouradminnameis"@vsphere.local

mine was administrator@vsphere.local
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • phonicphonic Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did you install the vCenter Server in Windows or use the appliance?

If the former, did you setup Active Directory integration when you installed it? If so, are you trying to login using a user account in the Administrators group?

When the client attempts to connect, do you get a warning about an invalid certificate? That's fine and expected, and it also shows that you are able to connect and the vCenter services are running. If you aren't getting that, then either vCenter hasn't started up all the way or you have another problem.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In addition to what the guys have already asked, what error do you get? Is it invalid user/password?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • sendalotsendalot Member Posts: 328
    Yes, I tried a lot of variables for server ip and user/pw. Once, I got wrong ID&PW, and another I got unknown connection error.

I used the VMware Workstation to start all this. AD groups are integrated.

For services, do I manually need to start all VMware-related ones?
  • tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I ran into this issue. One of services wasn't started. Make sure they are started or reboot.
    How do I recover a PW? apparently the one I've been using the whole time for everything isn't correct.
    Argh, why won't "VirtualCenter Server" and "VirtualCenter Management Webservices" start? They are on Automatic (Delay).
  • phonicphonic Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Look on the bright side. You are getting invaluable experience in troubleshooting vCenter issues. Honestly, while it can certainly be aggravating, I personally like it when something in a lab environment breaks while I'm studying for an exam or trying to get more familiar with a product. In the real world, problems happen all the time. So getting experience with issues while you can take your time will make you better in production environments.

I ran into a weird issue while trying to migrate a vSS into a vDS. I spent about four hours doing research and troubleshooting. I could have just blown it away and started from scratch, but I used it as an opportunity to work with CLI commands, logs, etc. So don't get frustrated - use it to your advantage.

Anyway, regarding your issue, I don't think we have enough information to go on to make an assessment. Check the logs and see if you can see why those services are failing to start. Is there some conflict going on? You said you followed a lab building guide - review each step and make sure you didn't skip anything.
  • BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    Umm since you haven't given a "great" deal of information here...I would humbly suggest the following:
    Verified network connectivity via ping?
    Verified username and password are correct?
    Checked Google/VmWare website to determine if others have had the issue you are having? or google your known issues "VirtualCenter Management Webservices service won't start", etc
    Checked logs on desktop client/server to determine if an issue is indicated in them which would lead you to solving your issue?
    Checked to verify that if you are relying on a SQL server/DB that it is powered on, pingable, etc. (I had an issue once where I shut down this type of server and services no longer started, perhaps similar to your issue)

Hopefully you can get it resolved! :D Let us know!
    Have you had a look at > VMware KB: VMware vCenter Management Webservices fail to start after installing vCenter Server with the error: Failed creating java C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\jre\\bin\server\jvm.dllagement services

It could be a Java error or that the vCenter database is inaccessible or the database services dont come up in timely manner.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

I didn't bother to ping because all my hosts are getting AD directory access from the DHCP/DNS/AD machine. vCenter Server installation was able to pick up SQL database on the other SQL-host. Others on forums and articles didn't have exact similar issues and I've already done those that I can (as in turning off Firewalls, restarting and checking installation directory, etc). And have come to this forum as a resort. Before I start my VM lab each time, I make sure all of them are turned on and talking to each other. Java, I believe is fine since Cisco Configuration Professional is working well. Oh man! But I'm trying to see the big picture that I'm learning.

In the logs, what particular clause shall I look for?
    - You've likely checked/tried already but what account's running these services? Local system or a service account?
    - Bring up your SQL VM, confirm it's good - check services etc. Then fire up vCenter.
    - There should be a few folders (and logs folders within them). Take a look at the logs here too for Java issues > %Program Files%\VMware\Infrastructure\tomcat\logs

Someone else said too and I'll say it again, experience like this is great for the real world.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Service account. So "SQL" for SQL host. and "VCAdmin" for VCenter host, both of which were created in DHCP host's AD. So SQL VM should have all the services up and running as well? Do I need to add any extra roles?
    Thanks!!
    Is that account an admin? You sure the password's right in the credentials field of the services? Could you have changed the password? Is the account locked out?

Yes, the SQL VM must have everything up and running - that's one of the reasons why the vCenter services are set to a delayed start, so other things they depend on can come up first. I dont know for sure, Google and find out, the VCAdmin account needs to be an owner of the database.

In my vSphere lab, I have vCenter and SQL on the same VM. Just makes things a fair bit easier, less troubleshooting.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

The AD accounts are added as local admin in each VM. Since this is a demo run, I made the pw for same across everything. Nope, no PW change. No lockout. VCAdmin is SysAdmin and also Admin of all roles via SQL Management Studio. Oh, VCenter being on same as SQL VM is ok? As long as ESXis are tagging along on other VMs?

I'm going to double check the SQL VM's services. Thanks for the note on "Delayed Start."
    Yes, having vCenter and SQL on the same VM is no problem till you start to get bigger. Both applications are resource-hungry and when you grow larger than 5 hosts and 50 VM's (I think) VMware recommend you separate them. Otherwise you'll end up having a Melvin the Monster VM.

Another thing - Windows firewall between the SQL and vCenter VM's? Are you able to resolve the FQDN's of either machines?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    sendalot wrote: »
    Argh, why won't "VirtualCenter Server" and "VirtualCenter Management Webservices" start? They are on Automatic (Delay).

Since this is just a lab environment and not many factors involved here, I would say you're having issues with connection to your vCenter DB. Verify the ODBC username/password/instance is configured properly. Test connection to the source, to ensure the DSN is setup correctly. If so, ensure all SQL services are started, including SQL server Agent and SQL server browser (the two main vCenter dependencies). Don't worry about delayed start that usually indicates a service has a dependency that needs to be started before it will start.

See Section - Viewing and modifying the database server and/or database used by vCenter Server (Microsoft SQL): VMware KB: vCenter Server installation fails with ODBC and DSN errors 0 80799662
    Yes, FQDN resolves well. I turned off all firewalls on VMs. (Since the host machine is secured well). When I got SQL Native rolling, and vCenter installation rolling, I tested all connection and they were fine. ODBC account names seem the same as well. I will look at the log again.
  • adamlawrence01adamlawrence01 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    try "whateveryouradminnameis"@vsphere.local

mine was administrator@vsphere.local

I had the same issue when I upgraded to 5.5 in my lab. administrator@vsphere.local instead of administrator fixed it.
    Quick Update: "SQL Services are all running. But administrator@vsphere.local is still not working either...argh" on Desktop Client.
    I am at least able to get in through the Web Client.. whoo!!
    Now trying to create a vCenter server.
    On Web client, I can't find an option to create a new server. I created a ESXi host. By the way, if the ip address of my VC machine is 10.0.0.100, that' s the address I put in at vSphere client, correct? and administrator@vsphere.local? Thanks.
  • tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You cant find the option to create a new VM? If that's the vcenter address, yes that's what you put in to login to vcenter. You can also enter the ip of your host and log in to manage it (or enter FQDN if you have manually created an entry in DNS). I built my lab by following the Boerlowie build as well and the only problem I ran into was the services. I found that if I boot up vcenter last, after everything is else is booted, I don't have problems.
    In the web client, upon login, I get "Could not connect to one or more vCenter Server systems: https://VC.labo.local:443/sdk.&quot;
    What kind of services problem did you run into?
    Are you able to post screenshots of your Workstation setup and anything else that's pertinent to the issue? I suspect there are problems in the setup somewhere that you arent interpreting correctly and troubleshooting isnt getting anywhere. (no offense!) You say you've connected to vCenter via the Web Client, but now off to create vCenter server (4 posts up)? I can see you are learning but using the right terms definitely helps.

Or start from scratch.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

LOL.... haha, my bad for the confusions. I meant creating ESXi hosts instead of a vCenter server. It might take a while for me to pick up the VMware terms.
    Which particular screenshots would be helpful? Like VM hardware settings? Trying to post only useful ones.
    Thanks.
    Post screenshots of the SQL and vCenter VM's network settings (both VMware Workstation and Windows settings).

You sure there's no firewall? The fact you can get in via the Web Client and not via the C# client does make me think about a firewall.

Look at the below too:

VMware KB: Diagnosing the vSphere Client when it fails to connect to an ESX/ESXi host or vCenter Server
    VMware KB: Connecting to vCenter Server using the vSphere Client fails
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• RakeshnarayanRakeshnarayan Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    could you try with below default credentials.

username - root
    password - vmware
    I access techexams via different computer. So I'm just writing here what I see on the screen of the server computer.

Both VMs use custom network adapter VMnet2. They are both in labo.local domain(network).
    SQL has ip of 10.0.0.2 with 255.255.255.0 and DNS of 10.0.0.1
    VC has ip of 10.0.0.100 with 255.0.0.0 and DNS/DHCP of 10.0.0.1

One thing I noticed is that VC's VMware VirtualCenter Server service isn't running. But how did the web client get in then?
    I checked again and Firewalls are off across all VMs, except the host machine of course.
    Thanks.
    Any reason why the two VM's have different masks? Or is it a typo?

Well the fact that the vCenter Service isnt running explains why you cant use the C# client to get in. You dont seem to be able to hit the SQL machine from vCenter.

Where do you access the Web Client from? Post screenshot of the page you get after you've logged in.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

The link is the screen shot imgur: the simple image sharer

I think that, at same point the masks became different due to setup. I might have slipped in following the web guide blog.

Thanks.