Options

Failed 70-411

Just took the 70-411 exam today and failed with 406/1000. Used MeasureUp Practice Questions and the 70-411 Training Guide by Orin Thomas. The practice tests was the definition of not useful and did not help with the exam at all. The book gave a good overview of topics but did not give enough information needed to pass for someone who does not have a huge server background. A tip for everyone who is coming from a desktop background, wait until the exam reference is released next year as well as some practice tests that have been tested and proven to help with the exam. This was the first exam I have ever failed by the way. I read the book twice and went through the entire suite of questions from MeasureUp 3 times. Probably spent about 2 months preparing.
Next Goal: Office 365 70-346 (Scheduled for 9/25)

Comments

• Options
    congerkingcongerking Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How was is relative to the 70-410 exam?
  • Options
    Theegg911Theegg911 Member Posts: 124
    Not very many questions from it. It touched what certain kinds of images were for. But it was more focused on Group Policy, Network Access, AD management, and NPS. So be familiar with those and the features/settings that are mentioned within those topics. You may want to wait until more material is published. Unless you are an experienced Server Admin, this exam may be suicide at the moment. Be sure to take advantage of the second shot offer if you attempt this.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sucks man, that's been my experience in the past. No matter how many times you read the book, if it's rubbish it won't be very useful. It's helpful to ask around on this forum about what people have used.
  • Options
    $TR1K3R$TR1K3R Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    No matter how many times you read the book, if it's rubbish it won't be very useful.

I totally agree. About a week ago I've failed 70-686 with a score 532. In exam there was not anything what I've read in books and watched in videos. I think technet is a better choice than these rubbish books, at least it's free
  • Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    $TR1K3R wrote: »
    I think technet is a better choice than these rubbish books, at least it's free

I have my favorite authors, but yeah ... many of the Microsoft Press books leave much to be desired. TechNet is where I spend a lot of time these days ... dido the developer blogs.
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 140
    Hi Theegg911,

Sorry to read that you failed the exam after studying for two months.
    I had a similar experience with the 70-410 a few weeks ago, my score was 560/1000 and I actively studied for a month, I also got the Transcender practice exam and didn't do extremely well there before I attempted my exam.

However from my experience the Transcender practice test and the real exam was very similar, so I won't go for the real exam until I get great scores on Transcender.

As exams are being updated to R2 I have decided to put my MCSA studies on hold till they are updated as well as proper study material, however I would recommend the book Microsoft Server 2012 Inside Out.

This was also the first exam that I have failed, though I haven't taken that many yet.

Good luck and keep up the good work.
    Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
    2015 COLOR=#008000]X[/COLOR | 2016 COLOR=#ff8c00]In progress[/COLOR | 2017 | 2018
  • Options
    rickbossrickboss Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How many questions had the 411 exam?
  • Options
    403Forbidden403Forbidden Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I find the best way to study for a test like these is to get the eval versions and install them on some VMs and play around with them using the objectives, technet and other online resources to find out what I should be messing around with. The exams are supposed to go over what you "Need to know" and not what you "Should know" in most cases so when you're setting up new users and folder redirection and then finding out how it all works and such things in a real environment it really helps solidify the knowledge rather than just reading a book.
  • Options
    Theegg911Theegg911 Member Posts: 124
    My exam was 50 questions. I know how to do things such as create users and groups in AD. As well as Folder redirection and offline files. The things that stumped me was that there were not alot of multiple choice in mine. The Training Guide I read went over how to set things up with what felt like a basic over view. The questions though dug into things being broke and how to fix them. Which is not what the training guide is about. This is what threw me off. And I was prepared to see questions similiar to the MeasureUp tests. I knew it wouldn't be identical but it would AT LEAST give me an idea. Which is not what happened. I felt the 70-410 exam was easy but this one was more of an exam for people who have already been in the role of Windows or Server admin for a decent amount of time.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Theegg911 wrote: »
    I felt the 70-410 exam was easy but this one was more of an exam for people who have already been in the role of Windows or Server admin for a decent amount of time.

Yeah, I think that is the expectation of Microsoft; that their exams are for people with a few years experience as a sys admin. MS also said the questions were going to be more "rigourous" in the 2012 MCSE exams.

Did you build a lab and cover every subject in the exam? Labbing has to be the single most important thing you can do when learning. Good luck with the resit; I'm hoping to hit this one by the end of the month.