first day at new job tomorrow...

Waria AhmedWaria Ahmed Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
No trains running until 9am due to the weather... I have to be in work by 9 am.

Do I call up, apologize and explain I will be an hour late on my first day?? Or just get a cab in??

Comments

• 403Forbidden403Forbidden Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you have the money, get a cab. If not explain what happened and hope they are sympathetic.
  • TBickleTBickle Member Posts: 110
    First impressions matter, get a cab.
  • gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    where do you live? do you not have a car?
  • PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    Actually it depends or not if your method of transportation came up during the process of being hired.

But yeah, first impressions are still important.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Cab it to show the effort, then work with them for the rest of the week to setup a time can work with public transportation. If you have the number of new management also see if they are coming in at 9 tomorrow. They could possibly be coming in late as well.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations on landing a new job!!!icon_thumright.gif

There is a million reasons for calling a cab, one of which is, it's your first day imagine what kind of impression you going to give out to your manager if you call in to tell them that you are going to be late for your first day at work, it's just something to consider and remember time is money and first impressions always count. In my point of view i have always per-sieved, it's a good business practice to respect time. Being there earlier is better than being there late.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would call a cab or get a bus. Like others have said, you can only make one first impression. If you show up late the first day, your boss will wonder if you always show up late.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Bryan0530Bryan0530 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would cab it and ask what time you have to be there on a regular basis... or else you'll be late everyday
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It's your first day. Get there at all costs.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Urgency - Make it happen
  • Waria AhmedWaria Ahmed Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys.. trains were suspended until 9 am due to bad weather so it was one off problem.

Pleased to say I paid and got the cab in to save all the hassle of running around and worrying. Trains fine to go home :)

Btw.. any wise words for a new job?? Hate first weeks when you are trying to settle in.

Thanks
  • puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    First few weeks are always the toughest in that you are getting accustomed to a new working environment, new coworkers, new tasks/projects, new technologies (perhaps), new boss, etc...

One huge suggestion that I can give you is to have a notepad available at all times, and WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN. I can't tell you how many times I have forgotten something, but have been able to recover because I wrote it down somewhere.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    trains were suspended until 9 am due to bad weather

Guess you needed "Greater Anglia" or similar trains here in the UK .. I had to work from home. Thankfully that was possible as I couldn't pay for a taxi to work (95 miles) - would have cost me a fortune :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Btw.. any wise words for a new job?? Hate first weeks when you are trying to settle in.

Yeah, don't be late!

Just show you are eager to learn. Don't be afraid to ask questions and take notes. Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Waria AhmedWaria Ahmed Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yep thats right.. you dont commute 95 mile each day do you? :o
  • gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    take notes? dont ask the same question twice!!!
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Don't be afraid to ask someones name if you don't remember it! There's typically that first day flurry of meeting people and it's impossible to remember them all.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    take notes? dont ask the same question twice!!!

Definitely bring some type of pad and pen
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark