Moving Away from Tape Backup

CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
Has anyone made the move?

I am starting a search on a better backup solution.

Any advice?

Comments

• lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    We use D2D2T via DPM, combines the best of both worlds.

For industries held to certain legal restrictions for backup retention periods I don't see a viable/fiscally responsible competitor to tape as a backup medium.
  • TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nope. Still using LTO4 here with two 50 tape libraries and 4 drives in each.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Has anyone made the move?

I am starting a search on a better backup solution.

Any advice?

I've began supplementing it, but not moving away from it completely. Still use lto4 media.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Have a few customers that have done away with Tape Backups, at least for Exchange, taking advantage of the Exchange Native Data Protection features in 2010/2013.
  • BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    Still using Tapes but have recently added DRS using replicated VM's...which is nice....
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Did disk-to-disk-to-cloud at my previous employer. We got every client off of tape and onto the cloud solution. It has problems of its own and design considerations, but overall it's much more effective than tape. It isn't any cheaper in terms of hardware and software, but the reduced operational expenses and improved capabilities are a big deal.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • JasonITJasonIT Member Posts: 114
    We have used Mozy pro cloud solutions. (Secure online business data backup | MozyPro) Its a pay per GB solution monthly. So far we haven't had any issues. J
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We used Mozy for PC's at my last job (as well as the three servers we had on-site). At the MSP I was at, we sold a hybrid solution by Barracuda. A device is placed on the network and servers would back up to it. Then the device would back-up to the cloud as well as keep the local company. Faster, easier, and avoids the normal "oh I forgot to put the tape in" or the 900 issues that tends to happen with backup exec. There are a couple of companies now that offer the on-site/cloud backup solution.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We moved from tape about a year-year and a half ago and are now using Avamar. Backups are great, the system is great, but updates are literally an all day affair. We've got three backup nodes, and upgrading takes about 6-8 hours each.

We do still have one remote site still on tape, but they'll be moving into a new building next year with a better wan connection. Hopefully that will let them join the rest of us in the Avamar setup. This is the one site that has our graphic artist/designer, she tends to generate some big files that make backing up over the network not the best idea at this time.

I've heard some good things about UniTrends, they might be worth a look. I've talked to a couple of their sales guys and they're pretty nice, not overly intrusive like other vendors that will call every day. Both of these companies are Spiceworks community members, and that's a great place to get some info on and input about them.
  • ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    We have a geo-redundant datacenter that automatically mirrors the live drives and keeps 30 days of backups.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We sold Unitrends at the MSP I worked for. It's a decent product, but tends to be a pain when it comes to errors. This was two years ago though, so hopefully they cleaned that up a bit.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff