power cycling: computer shutoff time?

superksuperk Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
concerning using the reset button and power cycling, the textbook I am studying from says: "one disadvantage to power cycling is that certain circuits, such as memory chips, might need time to drain their charge for the reboot to be successful"
-sybex complete deluxe study guide for the COMPTIA A+ Exam, p. 30.

on average, how long might this be? what situations might I encounter in which I must wait this time period before starting the computer up again?

Comments

• ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    I find that just doing a complete power off and then turning back on has always been sufficient for any computer I've ever owned. I've never been one to subscribe to the theory that you have to have your computer of for 30 seconds.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • superksuperk Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    well my thinking is that if this statement is true, then immediately turning the computer on again will only prevent those certain circuits from fully rebooting, making this effect only pertinent when there are certain problems with those circuits.
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This is one of those things that sounds good on paper but in practice it makes no difference (in my experience).
  • TerrieTerrie Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've had a couple people who didn't get the different between restarting the computer and turning it off, so I've told people to turn it off for the count of five before, but that's the only time it's come up for me.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cold boot vs warm boot. Look them up. There is a material difference and it can have real effects in a surprising amount of scenarios. The Sybex quote doesn't explain this in sufficient depth, from what you've quoted. The Wikipedia article on rebooting would be a good place to start.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • absaelabsael Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The only issue I'm aware of when power-cycling a computer is the hard drive. I've often heard that it's hard on the drive motor to turn it back on when it's spinning down. I don't know if this is still the case with newer drives, but I wait 10 seconds.