Another pass!

yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
Passed!! 850 ^^

The exam was 5 performance and 70 questions. The performance questions were:

- Set up a firewall to meet 4 requisites.
- Something you know/have/are... 6 options.
- Assign security controls to different devices
- Assign security controls to a smartphone and a server
- Some attack scenarios.

My material was:

- Darril's book.
- Professor Messer

If you meet the recommended requisites (2 years of experience, network+), it's ok, but if you don't, both Darril's and Messer's are quite short explaining some things. For example I got a question about IPv6's Neighbor Discovery which I don't remember to had read or watched. Thankfully, I got some experience on networking.

Technical things are ok in Darril's book, but it does lack of information about management and PKI. I got a couple of questions about things I had never heard about.

In my opinion, you can pass with Darril's book and ProfessorMesser's videos. But be sure that you know and understand everything said on those resources, because then you will face questions about things you haven't seen, and likely you will fail them (or not). Also, expect the questions to be harder than the questions in Darril's book.

As a tip, flags are your friend. You don't know or are unsure about a question, flag it! Don't lose time thinking on the right answer, you will have plenty of spare time at the end to review them. I had more than 30 minutes left when I finished.

My next one don't know yet which will be. I wanted to only get security-related certifications (CEH, CASP, OSCP...), but after a year of unsuccessfully job search, I think I'm going to get something more "standard". A CCNA, ITILv3, etc.

PS: The hell with the survey!!!! They could tell you first your score, and then ask you the questions of the survey.

Comments

• CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    Congratulations! I'm currently studying for this myself. Yea those surveys are quite annoying when you just want to know your score asap lol. You say that you haven't had much luck searching for a job for a year, is Sec+ the only cert you have? Any degrees? Just curious!
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gif
  • shart1971shart1971 Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass!!
  • yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CoolAsAFan wrote: »
    Congratulations! I'm currently studying for this myself. Yea those surveys are quite annoying when you just want to know your score asap lol. You say that you haven't had much luck searching for a job for a year, is Sec+ the only cert you have? Any degrees? Just curious!
    This is my first certification. I have a bachelor's degree in computer systems engineering and an associate degree in telecommunications. The problem is my professional experience, which is only 5 months because I've been fully focused on my education.
  • Bigbill810Bigbill810 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    A+ >70-685 Windows 7 EDST > Security+ > ITILv3 > VCA-DCV > VCA-CLOUD > CCNA > CCNPCOMPLETE / IN PROGRESS / FUTURE GOAL
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations on the pass.

One thing that CompTIA has been known to do is to start throwing in beta questions from the next version of the exam. CompTIA is currently working on the next version of Security+ (maybe they'll call it SY0-401) and even though they haven't published the objectives, they have created at least a rough of the new objectives and have begun the exam development phase where they start creating questions. With this in mind, it's very likely that you'll likely see unfamiliar topics no matter what study materials you use and I'm hearing this from many test takers.

The good news is that the beta questions don't count against you.

Good luck with your next adventure, whatever you decide to pursue.
  • samurai86samurai86 Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    Bachelor's of Applied Science in Technology Management - Information Security Assurance (St. Petersburg College)
    Masters of Science in Digital Forensics (University of Central Florida)
  • j1mggj1mgg Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am looking a siting this exam next week and have read Darrils book and going back through it, but am kind of worried about the performance questions as I haven't seen these being covered in the book. I also have access to train signal/plural sight and will look at their videos this weekend.

is there anything else I can kind of cram in?

thanks
  • Glyphic83Glyphic83 Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    j1mgg wrote: »
    I am looking a siting this exam next week and have read Darrils book and going back through it, but am kind of worried about the performance questions as I haven't seen these being covered in the book. I also have access to train signal/plural sight and will look at their videos this weekend.

is there anything else I can kind of cram in?

thanks
    you don't need to be worried about performance questions. They are quite easy. You can see them as a normal question with "Choose all that apply" option.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    @j1mgg, since the performance based questions were added long after the objectives were published they aren't in the book. However, if you check out the blog, there are several articles that talk about them. yzt gives good advice though. If you understand the content, the questions aren't that difficult. The biggest thing to remember is that you can skip questions that aren't clear and come back to them later.

Good luck.
  • j1mggj1mgg Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies.

i passed the exam yesterday with 853.