Intermediate network engineer

blackship_aliblackship_ali Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey All. I graduated from london in computer science. Now i got CCNA (R&S) and working hard to get CCNA (security) + CCNP (R&S).

I am moving to New Zealand next month on Job search visa. I dont have any experience on network level. How to land a network engineer job without any experience? Its hard as am going through Internet vacancies required in New zealand. All they need is Senior network Engineer with min 5 year experience.

Any suggestions how to improve my resume? Can anyone help me on this please? OR what do you look in intermediate network engineer if you hire him?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    With no experience engineer positions are going to be pretty impossible to get without some graduate program or similar corporate recruiting. You'd be better off looking into network technician or similar lower level roles.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    I hate to break it to you but without experience you are useless to most employers. This is why you are going to have a hard time finding a intermediate network engineer position right off the bat. Aim for lower to get your foot in.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • pertpert Member Posts: 250
    Youre not going to get a senior or intermediate position without experience, but you might be able to get a junior position at one the big boys instead of some small operation.
  • blackship_aliblackship_ali Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes Pert, i know i cant get senior level jobs but atleast i want that network technician jobs. These intermediate network jobs are hardly available in NZ.

My question is, what should be done to get even intermediate jobs? should i be good on basics or something else should i work on?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You should work on getting low level experience before intermediate.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • pertpert Member Posts: 250
    I've heard of fresh graduates who were able to get into intermediate roles, but they all came from prestigious schools. I tried like hell to get into networking out of college and it was ******* impossible. I had 3 years of IT experience and a CCNA and it still took over a year to find my first real networking job, and that required relocation to the middle of nowhere. The reason I got that job was only because I got to the technical interview part and nailed it. The only thing you can do as a guy with no experience is show your level of scholarship. You need to be answer any CCNA level question cold in a second.
  • blackship_aliblackship_ali Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks pert. got it. i was looking for this answer. ive done same 3 years of graduation. Now ive done CCNA (R&S) and working on CCNA (Security). Let see how it all goes.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd recommend jumping into a desktop/helpdesk role for a few months and then start looking for a networking position. I am not saying it is impossible to get a networking gig without experience but it is unlikely. Having just a few months of real world experience will help you out.

Take an entry level role and finish up on your CCNA Security and you should be qualified enough for an entry level networking gig.