Required experience for job

BryanM67BryanM67 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was wondering...

when an employer wants someone with tons of certifications (such as must have A+, CCNP, CCSP, MCSE, MCDST, CCISP, etc) and must have 5+ years of experience in a bunch of disciplines, with solid work history, etc, etc.

Do they usually find someone that fits all the requirements or do they settle with someone who fits only some of the requirements? Just wondering since I read some job listings on monster.com and other websites, then wonder if there really is someone that has everything the employer wants.

Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Often times when you see a job ad for tons of requirements like that it's either the product of an HR department or firm who has no clue what they're asking for, or it is a company who's hoping to find an out of work technical consultant. Being a consultant myself, I can vouch that you are literally forced to gain expertise in many areas of IT. The fact that you are in and out of many different companies and face many different dynamics in a years time gives you a wealth of experience you just wouldn't get working for one company. Of course most companies want someone with that experience, but they rarely want to pay for it. Which is why they usually end up settling for less.
  • jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    I've also realized that a lot of companies that place ads always say the same thing, "3-5 years experience", "Bachelors Degree" and it's like they just copy one another when they place their ads. They probably know very little about what they are asking for, but ..."if ABC Company is requesting it, then we should too!"

Apply for them anyway, who knows, even if you get in for an interview and they have no plans to bring you back for another one, you still win by gaining the experience of sitting through it.
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have gained quite a few contracts even though I didn't have the exhaustive list of requirements they asked for. I did this by researching what they ask for so when they ask about it I can prove to them I can research and look into things a valuable skill that not all possess in IT. Also show a lot of enthusiam to learn and also demonstrate a technology you had to learn recently within your job. These are tried and tested tactics that have worked for me.

The main thing they are really looking for is experience in a similar role in a similar size company. For example they may advertise for an MCSE, CCNA, unix, SQL etc. for a small 500 user company. But if they can find someone who has worked in a small 500 user company who has some of those skills then they may be worth their while.

Its always worth applying for a job that is beyond the asking requirements for 3 reasons.

1. You may be the best applicant they get even though you don't meet the requirements so they take you on anyway and train you up

2. They may have another position that might be better suited to you and they might like you for that position. And as a side to that they may keep your resume on file in case something comes up that suits you. Its always good to have your name out there in the industry.

3. They may find they are being unrealistic for their budgetary requirements and you may be cheaper to employ and teach.

Thats on top of gaining the experience and practise of letter writing, resume tailoring, researching companies and technologies you either never heard of or knew nothing about and interviews techniques.
  • rbowmanrbowman Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A lot of times on monster.com though is that you will find this little phrase "Qualified candidates/applicants only" so they must know what they are talking about or what the certs mean.

I will say that it is very tough in my situation being a AS with no experience in a small city (Roanoke, VA) to find an entry lvl IT position. It also means that Im in a bit of a catch 22 position as it takes xp to get a job and a job to get xp >: |
  • InfInf Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I say apply to it anyway. The worst that can happen is they never call you. Stick with your search. You may have to work something that is below your capabilities for a few months, but you'll find something eventually. I speak from experience. icon_wink.gif
  • Badger95Badger95 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In any career field there are 2 types of companies.
    Farm companies that like to grow new employees because they are cheaper and what ever other reasons they have. This is the place to get experience. And companies that don't like entry level but only want experience.
    The trick is to find the farmers and grow some and then move on. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Badger
    _________
    Velle est posse, tempus fugit, vivere disce, Cogita Mori
  • woodwormwoodworm Member Posts: 153
    When I applied for my job I didn't have all the requirements set out in the job advert (must have a degree, etc, etc).

There were 80 applications but I still got the job, I guess it is possible that the other 79 people didn't have everything, but someone must have been a closer fit than me (on paper at least).

I wonder if they are regretting giving it to me now! icon_lol.gif

Anyway, my point is, as long as you have some of the experience / requirements then you should apply, all they can say is 'No'.
  • sal14bnsal14bn Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hai
    i just want to ask you i had finsh my mcse and ccna but no experince

i need some information how to get the job without the experince

plz mail me up

take care !
    i loved it