Fingers Crossed

bgold87bgold87 Member Posts: 112
Just got off the phone with a recruter for a Server Engineer position. It's direct hire and a $17k increase over what I'm currently making and NO MORE HELPDESK! The one new thing I hadn't seen was he had me take the job description and then write a paragraph about my experience with it. Once I did that, I realized how lackluster my resume is compared to what I can do.

Anyway I'm pretty stoked this works out and wanted to solicit some good vibes from you all. Hopefully I can finally get out of this wretched helpdesk/desktop world.

Thanks,
B

Comments

• gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    you still have to interview for the position thats just the recruiter talking

dont worry theres more stress interviewing w/ the client and then waiting for the client to get back to the recruiter which can take another 5-7 days
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • tjh87tjh87 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What gbdavidx said. I hope it works out for you, but if I got every job that the recruiter swore I was "the perfect fit for," I'd be using Visual Basic to configure switches and routers that are running Server 2009.

***Since humor is often lost over the internet...yes, those references don't make sense on purpose.***
    2013 Goals: /COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd CCNP, [ ] CCDA, [ ] VCA-DCV
    2014 Goals: [ ] CCDP, [ ] CCNA Security
    , [ ] CCNP Security
    2015 Goals: [ ] Finish BS in CIS,
    [ ] CCIE R&S Written
    2016 Goals:
    [ ] CCIE R&S
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck sound very exciting! Funny I just got off the phone with a recruiter who offered me a 3 month position answering phone making 22k less lol.
    tjh87 wrote: »
    What gbdavidx said. I hope it works out for you, but if I got every job that the recruiter swore I was "the perfect fit for," I'd be using Visual Basic to configure switches and routers that are running Server 2009.

***Since humor is often lost over the internet...yes, those references don't make sense on purpose.***

You'd be amazed how many .NET developer positions I get emailed about. .NET developer is not the same as network engineer people! Refine your search!
  • gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    You'd be amazed how many .NET developer positions I get emailed about. .NET developer is not the same as network engineer people! Refine your search!
    Funny you say this I got an email from a recruiter who sent me a sharepoint developer job, um have you read my resume? where do i have pogramming and sharepoint experience? I am in help deslk lol
  • ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Who are these recruiters, and how are they finding you folks? Just curious, I've never worked with one before.
    Put your resume up on some job boards and you will start getting emails. It's been at least two years since I've uploaded my resume to a job board and I still get emails everyday. Mostly unrelated stuff though.
  • redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ratbuddy,

Post your resume online once - dice, monster, ziprecruiter, whatever - and for the rest of your life you'll be inundated with irrelevant job emails.

I got one earlier today asking me to do desktop support in Arizona for $14/hour.
  • tjh87tjh87 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    Who are these recruiters, and how are they finding you folks? Just curious, I've never worked with one before.

Like others said, post your resume online and wait. You'll get calls and emails for the next few years because of it. Recruiters work on behalf of companies to find potential employees. Some are third party, while others work directly for the hiring company. Most get paid a percentage of whatever salary the company hires you on at. Because of this, they try to contact as many people as possible to find that one person that may fit that role. Its a numbers game. Many companies work with several recruiting companies so there is a competition between them to find a fit for the company. They have filters set up on the web to hit key words. 99% of recruiters have no technical background and don't know a switch from a server or Microsoft from Cisco. They just know that if you go in for an interview and get hired, they get $$. Hence the irritation of getting emails for a .NET job when you are a Network Engineer.

I feel that they are probably a necessary evil, however. I got the job I have now from working with a recruiter. Just remember, they pretend to have your best interests in mind. But in the end, they don't care whether you or Joe Bob on the other line gets hired by the company for that open position. They get paid either way.
    2013 Goals: /COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd CCNP, [ ] CCDA, [ ] VCA-DCV
    2014 Goals: [ ] CCDP, [ ] CCNA Security
    , [ ] CCNP Security
    2015 Goals: [ ] Finish BS in CIS,
    [ ] CCIE R&S Written
    2016 Goals:
    [ ] CCIE R&S
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    tjh87 wrote: »

I laughed at this because recruiters are ridiculous like that. For instance, I merely mention the word "database" in my resume once, and I have gotten hits for Oracle Developer positions. I bet there are some great stories out there about clueless recruiters/HR people. I wasted 10 minutes talking to a guy who found my resume who was looking to fill a 30K/yr position. Sure, but only if I can come in on just Mondays every week.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ Larry I know the feeling. I build tables views etc but I am no DBA but you couldn't tell that from the recruiters who ping me for DBA positions. I am thinking if you want me to script or build some views sure, you really don't want me migrating your databases from 2008 to 2012.