pinging to destination but not telnetting to port 80

shanparamesshanparames Member Posts: 103 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi
In windows server 2003 standard edition, we are able to ping one destination server but cannot telnet that server's port 80.
Present status of the server:
1) In the source server, there are two hp nic's which are teamed and right now in the network connections details, it is displayed that lan 1 cable is unplugged ; even though it is pinging the destination.
2)The source server is already joined into the domain and we are not be able to log inside the domain ; so we are logging locally into the server
3)When we type the address of the destination server (WSUS SERVER)in browser it should show the homepage of the destination server ; but now it is displayed as the page cannot be displayed
I am able to telnet to WSUS Server from other servers;

How to solve the issue ? Any help is appreciated!
Thanks

Comments

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is the server running IIS?
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • shanparamesshanparames Member Posts: 103 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi

The source server is running on windows server 2003 Standard x64 edition;it is a file server; but I have found that there is Internet Information services loaded and MS SQL 2005 too.

When I tried to start the IIS Manager service , it is reported that the connection to the server abc is lost
    Thanks
  • ReibeReibe Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    From the server itself, can you telnet over port 80 to loopback or 127.0.0.1?
  • shanparamesshanparames Member Posts: 103 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not happening to localhost port 80 itself; what to do now? Please guide me

But the status of the port 80 in the localhost is listening
    Thanks
  • dbzrfldbzrfl Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi
    In windows server 2003 standard edition, we are able to ping one destination server but cannot telnet that server's port 80.
    Present status of the server:
    1) In the source server, there are two hp nic's which are teamed and right now in the network connections details, it is displayed that lan 1 cable is unplugged ; even though it is pinging the destination.
    2)The source server is already joined into the domain and we are not be able to log inside the domain ; so we are logging locally into the server
    3)When we type the address of the destination server (WSUS SERVER)in browser it should show the homepage of the destination server ; but now it is displayed as the page cannot be displayed
    I am able to telnet to WSUS Server from other servers;

How to solve the issue ? Any help is appreciated![

I might be wrong, but I would focus on figuring out why network cable reads unplugged, when your able to get a ping, I had a similar issue with nic teaming, my problem was a switching issue.