Options

How do you go about looking for a new job w/o making your current employer angry?

GLaDOS11GLaDOS11 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

Finally decided to create an account here because everyone has helped me so much over the past 2 years.

I just turned 26 years old and am currently making about $26,000 a year in a desktop support role with a lot of server administration as well. I am very thankful for this job because the experience is absolutely wonderful to start off my career, but it's getting harder and harder to live on 26k a year. I have about 2 years experience in this job now and my current employer has not really shown any interest in raising my pay, despite my efforts to convince him otherwise. I also have another year of experience doing mostly laptops configurations for a big company. I have the A+ and Net + and I'm a MCP (70-640 passed). I plan on having the MCSA: Server 2008 by February at the latest.

My question is, how have some of you gone about looking for a job while currently employed full time? I am getting calls asking for interviews, but it's very difficult for me to keep leaving work without ticking off my boss. I don't want to leave this job until I have another one, but I feel like 26k a year is pretty below average and I think I could find something higher paying. Any advice on this from the TE community?

BTW: I live in Florida.

Comments

• Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    If this might be a problem: Keep it quiet. Take calls outside. Don't gossip. If you have to leave for a dental appointment (read: interview), leave your suit in the car and change at the gym or public restroom. Just be discreet and it shouldn't be a big deal.
  • Options
    redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If your employer isn't going to give you a raise, then they can't really be that mad when you're looking for a new job (provided you've actually requested a raise, and made a business case for why you are worth additional money).

I've told my last couple employers that I'm looking, however, I have also been on very good terms with those employers (EDIT: As in, close personal friends with those employers).
  • Options
    SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    If this might be a problem: Keep it quiet. Take calls outside. Don't gossip. If you have to leave for a dental appointment (read: interview), leave your suit in the car and change at the gym or public restroom. Just be discreet and it shouldn't be a big deal.

There is your answer. Nobody has to know. If you don't want your employer knowing, it might not be the best idea to post your resume on sites. Apply to specific jobs that you are interested in.

A dentist appointment works. I conveniently had a stomach bug to get me out of work and over to the interview. As far as phone screens go, you might consider scheduling them during lunch. I have clocked out and told my supervisor that I have an important call that I had to take, relating to some family business. No matter how you cut it, just make it a small white lie and don't get caught with conflicting statements.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Don't tell your current employer.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't tell your current employer.

/thread

nothing else really needs to be said...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Couple of things although they have been mentioned.

- Golden rule: do NOT tell anyone at your current place that you are looking. Recipe for disaster.
    - You'll need to be smart and creative. Try to arrange phone interviews for lunch hour, breaks, or before/after work. If a comany is not willing to work with you around your schedule, it may noy be worth your time. A decent employer always respects candidates' schedules.
    - For face to face interviews, be selective. If you can't easily call in sick, take PTO, etc. then you'll have to chose with interview you really think are worth attending. Since you are looking to increase your salary, I would't entertain interview that did not disclose pay range. Lots of places want top talent for cheap and love to waste time. I don't play that game.
    - Finally, if possible, relocate to a place with a better IT market. I keep seeing Florida folks complaining.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    - Finally, if possible, relocate to a place with a better IT market. I keep seeing Florida folks complaining.

Truth! Might have to do that.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework