What would you do?

If you were making over $65k doing low level IT work such as basic help desk work and hated each day would you stay for the pay? Or would you find something still in IT more meaningful for less pay?

:)

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Why not find something in IT more meaningful with more or the same pay? $65k isn't out of the norm for an admin or engineer.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Success101Success101 Member Posts: 132
    I suppose that would depend upon your location. Many companies are only willing to offer around 50-60k for a Sys Admin...from the jobs I have seen.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I find it pretty hard to believe that one couldn't find an admin job that pays more than helpdesk in your area, but if that really is the case I'd be willing to take a pay cut to enjoy what I do.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Honestly I'd get out of there as quick as I could in that situation. Being overpaid for a position you don't enjoy really just sets you up to be easily replaced.

65k is pennies compared to what you could be making if you spent some time advancing your career. Short term you may take a small pay cut but in the long run you'll net a much greater gain both monetarily and enjoyment wise.
  • NavyITNavyIT Member Posts: 171
    I'm not sure where you are in Florida but before I got out of the Navy there and moved away I was invited to a few interviews for Sys Admin/Network Tech positions in Jacksonville that paid 65k or more, so I know that they are out there.
    A.S. - Computer Networking: Cisco
    B.S. - Computer & Network Security
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A few questions:

How long have you been their that you make $65k doing helpdesk?

Is their a chance of moving up?

Do you have the certs, exp, degree to move into an admin position or desktop support position?

I think you are going to find a tough time finding a job that pays close to what you are making if this is a traditional HD. Personally if I was a hiring manager I would have to ask why would you have stayed so long in that position.
    I am currently looking for work elsewhere because I am thinking about the long-term. As NavyIT stated, the salary in Florida is extremely low for many jobs here. I guess they feel the sunshine is part of your compensation. Looking to moving to a major IT hub city.
    eansdad wrote: »
    A few questions:

How long have you been their that you make $65k doing helpdesk?

Is their a chance of moving up?

Do you have the certs, exp, degree to move into an admin position or desktop support position?

I think you are going to find a tough time finding a job that pays close to what you are making if this is a traditional HD. Personally if I was a hiring manager I would have to ask why would you have stayed so long in that position.

I am actually making in the $70k's and this is what I started with.

There isn't a chance to move up.

I have the certs to be working as a System Engineer. I took this position because I was out of work...that's the only reason.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    To me no money in the world is worth being miserable for. Life is short. I need to work in a place that I enjoy. Otherwise, it's not worth it.
  • NutsacjacNutsacjac Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Success101 wrote: »
    If you were making over $65k doing low level IT work such as basic help desk work and hated each day would you stay for the pay? Or would you find something still in IT more meaningful for less pay?

:)

I was in the same situation as yourself a while back. There's no sense in staying in a dead end position, even if the money's good. Time to step outside of the comfort zone, it'll do wonders for your career.
  • GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would rather do something I enjoy, even if I had to take a bit of a pay cut. It's much better for your total well being and happiness level.

Ideally though you'd find a job doing what you enjoy AND pays more.