Job opportunity

RavenclawRavenclaw Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,

I had a question I though I would post and get some feedback.

I am working toward my networking career. My friend said his bank has an opening in Tech support, I passed the phone interview with the general HR. person. She told me it was dealing heavy in Excel and mainframes and a lot of troubleshooting. I can brush up on my Excel skills but I have no mainframe experience. She said its entry level and set it up for a face to face interview in 5 days with a IT supervisor. The bank has a huge network division so I am looking to try to migrate into that dept. and use this as a stepping stone. I don't have any mainframe experience, a little bit of java back in school. The job involves looking up files and troubleshooting card issues.

That being said, is there anything I can learn or pickup so that I can show that I have the ability or willingness to learn. The are using IBM mainframes, any ideas or am I barking up a tree here. I have looked at jobs with things like Cobol, JCL, CSIS, but I don't know how feasible it is to learn these and not look like an idiot.

All opinions welcome

Regards

Comments

• prampram Member Posts: 171
    You're in luck! IBM has a yearly contest for learning z/OS and it's going on right now.

https://contest-reg.dfw.ibm.com/contest/usaca.nsf
  • RavenclawRavenclaw Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am not a student anymore can I still register?
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I know a lot web sites for students simply want a .edu e-mail address. Good luck with the interview.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Since this is an opening in tech support I highly doubt you'll be doing anything programming related with mainframe. You will likely be using a terminal emulator (java based 3270 or thick client like Hummingbird) to interface with the mainframe, which is just a matter of learning how to navigate the menus, executing commands/functions, and learning how to interpret the results.

It is not difficult by any means, I would not sweat it at all.
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Messing with excel all day sounds really boring.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
    Ya I agree but its an opening in a big company and with little experience, I can't be picky..
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Do you have a job description?

I used to work in a bank help desk/operations.

It sounds like you'll probably be an operator. Probably just watch a console where logging occurs and page tickets out to programmers to fix job abends and when various regions (test, development and production) go down. You may kick off or start processing job too, if that piece isn't automated.

You'll also probably take part IPL's that is when software and hardware is updated for the mainframe and the regions have to come back up.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ditto, kinda hard to guess without the job description.
    (even if some descriptions can be a standard template)

I'd also guess that you should be able to check a user's basic connectivity to the network, and extend that to making sure that they can connect to the main frame.
    I'd mentally step through a scenario where a user is unable to use some custom application.
    Along the lines of
    -Is the computer turned on
    -Are they logged in (local login or using some form of ldap authentication? )
    -Any error messages after logging in?
    -Are they connected to the network (ip adress/dhcp issues? )
    -Can they access the internet or access shared resources (maybe they don't let their employees connect to the wider internet)
    -Can they connect to a website or resolve a fqdn (DNS issues? )
    -What application are they using, does the application start without error?
    -What is that application supposed to connect to , (a local server or offsite server? )
    -Is that server resolvable, does it require another form of authentication ?
    stuff like that.
    Of course, be prepared if the interviewer wants to fast forward, or rewind, the scenario.

It is IBM, so at least be familiar with some of the technologies they use.
    My interview is tomorrow here is the job description:

Provides technical maintenance, troubleshooting, transaction and reporting analysis, and navigation support. Documents and communicates system issues, customer questions and resolution status. Analyzes, interprets and identifies appropriate technical solutions from varying client facts or circumstances, partnering with internal and departments to ensure client needs are met and problems are resolved. Applies system analysis techniques and procedures, including consulting with the client and its users, to identify hardware, software or system functional issues in order to design and deliver appropriate solutions to the client�s issues. Executes the implementation of commercial card product technology for clients and includes providing consultative input for needed documentation and training. Follows up with internal and external customers to ensure on-boarding efforts have been achieved accurately. As needed, provides technology demo support and guides client technology training.
  • finneyjabrahamfinneyjabraham Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How did your interview go?
    Finney Abraham

2014 Goal
    WGU BS-Network Administration [ ]
    CCNA [X] CCDA [ ] MCSA [X] Project+ [X] Storage+ [ ]