Studying Dilema - Need Input

Hey Guys;

I am currently in a Dilemma; My employer has informed staff that they are offering Vouchers for employees to sit the MCSA 2012 exams (70-410,70-411,70-412) for free, however these vouchers expire in Jan of 2014.

My Dilemma is that my Background and current study path leads more down the Networking side of IT rather than Microsoft/Wintel side. (I have a bachelors degree in Computer science majoring in Networking and Security and also have numerous Cisco Certifications.) I am currently reviewing the ITIL foundations Material and then plan to move on to the Cisco CCNA:S material once passing ITIL.

However after hearing about this offering I was tempted to jump straight away into studying for the MCSA 2012; What are you thoughts? I don't really see how this could benefit me and my background is in Networking and don't see the Microsoft certifications allowing me to progress in my current role? How long would you suggest it would take to pass all three exams (70-410,70-411,70-412)? I have quite a lot of prior experience using Windows server and am quite switched on when it comes to studying.

Just would like some of you senior guys to provide me with some feedback to whether you think it would be good to put a hold on my current Certification plans and opt to take up this opportunity?

Cheers!

Comments

• Theegg911Theegg911 Member Posts: 124
    I think you should AT LEAST do the 70-410. It is of course the easiest and will at least show future employers that you have a basic understanding of the MS Server. Do not do the other 2 unless you want to specialize or if you work in a Microsoft specific IT dept.
    Next Goal: Office 365 70-346 (Scheduled for 9/25)
  • StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177
    Theegg911 wrote: »
    I think you should AT LEAST do the 70-410. It is of course the easiest and will at least show future employers that you have a basic understanding of the MS Server. Do not do the other 2 unless you want to specialize or if you work in a Microsoft specific IT dept.

Thanks for the input; But without sitting all three it won't leave me with any formal Certification? I already have experience/exposure of the MS server as I've previously been employed as a Systems admin.

Still would like to know what others think... Anyone? :)
  • PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    StussyNz wrote: »
    Thanks for the input; But without sitting all three it won't leave me with any formal Certification? I already have experience/exposure of the MS server as I've previously been employed as a Systems admin.

Still would like to know what others think... Anyone? :)

The 70-640 and 70-642 for 2008 each granted a full certification. For example 70-640 was something like MCTS: Active Directory

I'm unsure if the new 2012 path grants you MCTS anymore or if you need to complete the three exams to earn just one MCSA cert.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Theegg911Theegg911 Member Posts: 124
    There are no MCTS titles for the newer exams. For Windows 8 you need to take 2 exams to get MCSA and for 2012 it is 3 exams for MCSA. Passing any exam will title you as MCP but that is nothing really special. It is now an all or nothing type of thing Microsoft has going on.
    Next Goal: Office 365 70-346 (Scheduled for 9/25)
  • ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    StussyNz wrote: »
    ... (I have a bachelors degree in Computer science majoring in Networking and Security and also have numerous Cisco Certifications.) ...

The 70-411 is mostly network oriented ... you might find yourself in familiar territory there. And I have heard the 70-410 is comparatively easy. So why not try for those two certification exams. It isn't like you are losing money if you fail. Besides, you can pay out-of-pocket for any remaining exams. What ever you pass is free money.
  • MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My biggest regret when I left my past employer was not taking advantage of the benefits offered. They offered free vouchers. I didn't use them. Certifications stay with you no matter where you go. I am now back with that employer and I plan to take at least 7 certs in the next 14 months.
  • StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177
    ITMonkey wrote: »
    The 70-411 is mostly network oriented ... you might find yourself in familiar territory there. And I have heard the 70-410 is comparatively easy. So why not try for those two certification exams. It isn't like you are losing money if you fail. Besides, you can pay out-of-pocket for any remaining exams. What ever you pass is free money.

Thanks for the Input guys; I think it's best to actually attempt to sit all three exams; Will put all my other studies on the backfoot and get Cracking on some Microsoft Material!
  • mikejwhatmikejwhat Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The exams are only like £100 though aren't they? Would be a huge mission to get all 3 done in that time I would imagine. Can't do you any harm though! Will make you well rounded, you never know when you might need it. good luck