abt paging file

pannupanditpannupandit Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
actually my paging file size has been set to zero and each time I start my XP , a tmporary paging file is being created.I have tried manuaaly to change the paging size but when I set it again on restart it changes into zero. if anybody is having any idea do tell me.
thanx in advance
pannu

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did you do something like change the default NTFS permissions on the C: drive? If you changed the default "Everyone" or "System" and just replaced it with "Administrator" or yourself, this can happen. "System" needs FC to the C: drive in order to manage the page file.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • pannupanditpannupandit Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hello sir...
    sir actually My C drive is FAT32 so there is no question of permissions.and now I have format my hard disk and facing new problwm.I am not been able to install XP from dos mode.when after that I execute smartdrive. after installing it by executing winnt file.the temporary files get copy to my primary drive but after that in 2nd phase, after restarting when actually installation started,the error codes start coming "the specific file missing,press escape to skip it" but each time I press escape the error code comes for each file.I dont know whats happening and Even I have fdisk my Drive. again problem is coming.PLZ help me.
    Thanx
    It's possible you have a bad installation CD or a bad hard drive. Are you able to boot to the CD and install from there? I can't tell by your post (but your English is much better than my Hindi :) ). You mentioned smartdrive, which I am assuming is smartdrv.exe on a floppy disk you might be booting from. I would:

1. Inspect the XP CD and make sure it is clean with no scratches. See if you can obtain another copy from a friend just to see if it makes a difference.
    2. Run scandisk C: -autofix -surface -nosummary from a Win98/ME boot disk if you have one. Otherwise boot the XP CD and choose the repair option using the recovery console and run chkdsk.
    3. While you are in the recovery console try the options to fix the mbr. Otherwise from your W98/ME floppy run fdisk /mbr.

Good luck my friend.
  • pannupanditpannupandit Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hello sir....
    Well I have started the whole process from fdisk. I have repartioned my drive and all my drives are FAT32. so no question of permissions.
    2ndly,am insalling XP from DOS mode as am not having any bootable XP cd.So am using dos startup disk to boot my system.then I started installing XP from the cd. In the 1st phase, the installaion file got copied to hard disk without any error.but after it when system restart, then this problem is coming. we know that in the 2nd phase the files get installed from hard disk itself so there is nothing wrong abt CD-ROM.If it is, then it should come in the 1st phase .
    Thanx
    Not necessarily. The files could be corrupt but still able to be copied. During the installation process is where the setup would determine something is wrong. I think you've got a bad CD.