CCIE v5 Lab

gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
We don't appear to have a thread for this. As much as I dislike speculation - I've read on one of the INE blog entries that v5 is around the corner... (Cisco Live Mexico is only a few weeks away) To safeguard my v4 spot - I've now moved my lab to April 30th. I am going to have a rather busy 6 months but I think I can pull it off.

When the blueprint is announced, if it's not too harsh then I'll consider v5.

My worry is - I've just spent nearly £2K on hardware and well, if we all go 15.2 then I'm stuffed for any new features.

Comments

• keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have been hearing about this for a while myself, all things considering i will be picking up the pace and re-evaluating my gear to see what all supports 15
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well my 1841's are 15.1 ready (IOS even on them ready) but 15.2 - apparently this'll need 1941 routers and $$$ (or £££ in my case)

Going to have to change up a gear and floor it ! :D
  • qrilockqrilock Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have been hearing rumor as well, so have my attempt set for May 5th. I don't want to have to try and update my equipment for IOS 15.
    hopefully 15.1 is enough because i'm already looking at having to replace 2 routers concerning this possible update
    Well buying 3 more 1841's will set me back another £120 which isn't the end of the world.

I'll probably need more switches as well. I've got 2 x 3750's so no doubt I'll probably need another 2...

I should make some back from my 3550's and 2650XM's though so not too much of a tragedy.
    looks like 3560 and 3750 are covered in 15 which is a save. I just upgraded my own hardware recently maybe i can get lucky and find 2 2811s for cheap
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    keenon wrote: »
    looks like 3560 and 3750 are covered in 15 which is a save. I just upgraded my own hardware recently maybe i can get lucky and find 2 2811s for cheap

You can find them for a pretty decent price. I picked up 2 x 2821s for my voice lab for around $100ea, plus shipping. They included PVDM2-32 modules in them and CME 7.x
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
    Looks like I'll need 2 switches and 3 routers at the worst then. Given that I'm aiming for a v4 lab though, I'll try to avoid the need :D

Assuming 15.0 or 15.1, of course.
    I wouldn't change your course of study for the CCIE R&S attempt nor would I run out and buy lots of extra hardware right now to prepare for v5. If we followed rumors, v5 will test on more devices and technologies as compared to v4 AND remove legacy features that aren't as common in the enterprise. I wouldn't be surprised if the configuration section had between 20-30 devices at our disposal.

The core of the exam will largely remain the same, but the Advanced Services and IOS Security section may change to focus on IOS 15 features and functionality. I'd venture a guess that we're only talking a few points of difference here and not enough to drastically change the exam. One example would be testing on PfR rather than OER which was in the previous IOS.

In any case there will be at least 6 months of transition before everyone is required to test on the new version.
  • carterw65carterw65 Member Posts: 318 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Glad I bought the 2811s. Hopefully will get this over with on v4 blueprint though. My lab date is 30 Apr as well in Brussels.

I keep getting asked about VIRL at work too. All I can say is "I dunno." icon_confused.gif:
  • JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    I don't plan to even really start my journey until next year because there is just too many things changing. v5 of the exam coming out, VIRL coming out, and I hear GNS3 has a new update coming as well.
  • ScalesScales Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have another 6 months left of university studies myself before I even start looking at starting CCIE study.
    So it looks like v5 for me.

Most if not all the recommended reading will still be current, (granted some topics in the Cert Guide 4th Ed will change) so not all is lost.
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    V5 is gonna suck for people using home labs because of 15.X. I guess ill use most of my routers as shelves :P. On the flip side of the same coin; maybe we will get rid of yucky frame-relay and RIP and get more MPLS and even DMVPN's!
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
    Not sure you would see DMVPN on the R&S track, it is current on the Security track though. Believe it or not, enterprises still use RIP in some instances!

I would expect to see more advanced IGP scenarios, complex BGP, and more MPLS configuration over a larger number of devices. I would also venture a guess that you will see more IOU based devices on the configuration section.
    Yes, but I think they are trying to make the R&S track overlap more and more with SP to help people transition that way.
    The technology changes are of absolutely no concern to me - what I'm more bothered about it is the fact I've just spent a load of money on kit that could become useless :D
    from what i have read even if you own a home lab and can't upgrade all the pieces to 15 the lab is still useful overall however i think the main issue is going to be the amount of devices increasing. with the TS part of the lab consisting of more than 20 devices the only way around that is virtual or rack rentals. imo
    keenon wrote: »
    from what i have read even if you own a home lab and can't upgrade all the pieces to 15 the lab is still useful overall however i think the main issue is going to be the amount of devices increasing. with the TS part of the lab consisting of more than 20 devices the only way around that is virtual or rack rentals. imo

That sure is a lot of devices to manage in a lab scenario. It will be interesting to see how they go about it.
    Great find! I guess we will all know the changes in January at the latest.
    Nice! I'm excited to see what they have for us this time. I can't see them adding content without taking some of it out.
    So that gives us until the end of July? Great news!

Is there such a session at Cisco Live Mexico, I wonder?

EDIT: Just had a look and... no.
    There is a Cisco Live in Mexico - Cancun. I don't see v5 on the agenda though. So if they announce it in January does that mean it changes in June?
    Usually 6 months after an announcement.

I figure that means 31st July?
    If that's the case I may push my date to the end of May or 1st week of June. I can't go beyond that though. I am moving mid June so I need to get it done before then if possible.
    I wouldn't recommend setting yourself a 1 attempt or nothing goal. This will make you even more nervous during the exam :/
    I like to live dangerously.

But in all seriousness, June 9th does give a few weeks after it for a second attempt if "close".

After 2 attempts then I will concede defeat and gear up for v5 instead.
    Those few weeks will probably already be all booked since everyone is gonna want to get "one last in". You could book 2 attempts right now if you are rich :P.
    I agree not going for an all or nothing, but I have to pack up the lab and ship it across the pond and won't have it. I can still run GNS3 on a laptop though. I just won't have the opportunity to sit v4 again and will have to bow to the v5 requirements. It will be interesting how it all turns out for sure.
    Or you could just buy a couple of hours on a remote lab? I know this is what I'm gonna do, even though I have a home lab.