Despair getting the best of me ...plz Help

Krazy_khKrazy_kh Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Let's start with the fact that I have to start from scratch i.e no knowledge about networks. I always wanted to do CCENT/CCNA but never got around to it. I suddenly have some spare time(a few months) and decided to go for it. I was planning on self study. I hit my 1st hurdle right away as I read on the Cisco website that I need to have at least a working knowledge of IP addressing before I start studying for CCENT... The next blow came when I learned that the course has been updated and ICND1 v2.0 is much MUCH harder than the old ICND1, now I know it should not affect me as it's not like I was prepared for the old ICND1 to begin with but it's just a mental block sort of thing, I'm intimidated by the new ICND1 even before taking the 1st step towards it. The final blow and the almost proverbial last straw was when I read posts on another forum saying that it would take AT LEAST 6 months of studying before I would be ready for ICND1,if the person is starting from ZERO like I am.

So I guess my question are
1. Can a noob to NW get it done in 2-3 months ?
2. Is the Cisco CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-101 Official Cert Guide enough? If not then kindly recommend
3. Do I need to learn something before I am ready for that guide ?...for example do I need to learn IP addressing before I touch the Official guide or any other material you guys recommended in answer to question 2 ?

Those are the questions for now. I'm sure I will have a lot more questions with time. I am really floundering here and would appreciate any and all help. Thank you

Comments

• iamstarchant2iamstarchant2 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would say that between Wendell Odom and/or CBT Nuggets. You should be fine. They will take you from a very basic level to a good understanding of the topics. All of the greats had to start somewhere.

Wendell's book will be a challenging read. He goes into a lot of detail. Whereas Jeremy from CBT Nuggets tends to water things down slightly. Either way, both will give you the knowledge required to pass.

If you can get a hold of an IOS image (you'll learn about this from both sources). You will want to look into GNS3 for your studies! It will emulate a Cisco router, allowing you to practice configurations. Youtube is a great place to start for learning about this awesome software.

Oh and subnetting, learn it, live it, breathe it, be it!

I like the video's from Router Gods, explaining the subject.
  • 100k100k Member Posts: 196
    ^^^^ Second that. You can do it! just commit and you will do just fine.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The amount of time an effort you put into it will have a big impact on how long it takes to study.

Be aware that there is almost to much information available on the internet. It becomes overwhelming to figure out where to start.
    Pick up a book of your choice and start reading today.

I am working on a two year plan to switch into networking. I am hoping to pass CCENT in January and get my CCNA in June. After about two months of studying I am starting to understand most of the information I am reading.

Good Luck!
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    You can do it, and 2-3 months is more than enough time. This is not rocket science, so don't be so hard on yourself. Read book, watch some videos, and take some practice tests to gauge your progress and go knock it out.

Me and one of my guys at work were reminiscing recently about how hard we studied and stressed over the A+ certification (8+ years ago), because it was the first certification for both of us. We thought it was a huge deal and cause for celebration after passing, and now we've both progressed to the point where we don't even put it on our resume anymore.

So look at the big picture, it might take some work, but it isn't rocket science. :)

Edit: I wonder what euphemism rocket scientists use to relate to something that is difficult?
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    There are a couple routes you can go.

Straight into CCENT/CCNA this will be the most difficult because not only are you learning everything, you also have to learn the command line interface. I highly recommend CBT Nuggets whichever path but to be 100% honest Jeremy C's ICND1 videos are somewhat poor if you come from ground zero. He does a good job on the material but I feel like if I started there I would have more trouble.

The other route is do CompTIA's Network+ and then go for CCENT. Keith Barker's course is phenomenal on the concepts from a minimal or no prior knowledge. Cisco even says people who have completed Network+ have a higher CCENT/CCNA pass rate.
  • azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I feel your pain...

I came to networking with a "basic" understanding, having come from the PBX realm...so big learning curve.

I tried the self study method without success, (glazing over at the OSI model and thinking...WTF!) mainly because I had no support team to call on and really didn't know what resources were out there and were best to use. I decided to take the Network Academy path...highly recommended. However, now that I know about CBT Nuggets, INE (free videos for CCNA), etc. I always fall back to them for a refresher.

That said, if I'd known about this site and some of what I know now (ie, where to look for decent CBT material that isn't boring and dry), the self study route is possible, but it won't be a breeze...but you will get plenty of support here!icon_cheers.gif
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    You need to reevaluate your definition of "despair" because trying to get some paper certification is far from causing despair. lol

Study + Labbing = Pass

Laziness + Shortcuts = Congrats, you are now part of the 60% of clueless IT "Pros"

Ask yourself, "What is a trunk?". "What is a VLAN?".."Do I know how to configure these?" If your answer is no, then go lab it up using PacketTracer
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?