Options

badBIOS Malware

wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
Anyone else following this unfolding story?

Meet

Comments

• Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Like scifi.

Ultra sonic packet transmission?
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    He says they reflashed the BIOS of affected machines, but who's to say the infected BIOS doesn't just spoof success to the flash util..
  • Options
    @=ratbuddy
    Possible.

Id like to believe in Ultra sonic packet transmission though. It just sounds cooler.
  • Options
    Ever pick up the phone while someone was on the line with a modem? Just raise the frequencies and put it on speakerphone, and there you go. Easy stuff.
  • Options
    BalantineBalantine Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not so easy if the comm is spread out over long periods of time.

I have a lot of questions about the details in this story. Nice entertainment...freaky fah sure.
    dulce bellum inexpertis
  • Options
    Pure entertainment. If the machines really are communicating through audio, it stands to reason that any similar computer has a microphone which could monitor such communications. This guy needs to put up or shut up :)
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The guy is putting the information out there from what I read, it doesn't sound like he is hiding anything.

The story makes me want to throw my computer in a hole in the ground j/k.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Curious to see how this pans out. I can see how it would work via speakers/mic but how it's nesting itself in he BIOS - I'm just not sure.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Read a few articles on this just this morning. Personally, I'm a little doubtful on the ultrasonic being used, but it's possible. Interested to see how it all pans out and to see a third party come in to do some testing.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I find it interesting as well... will have to follow up in a couple of weeks to see where it stands.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Interesting and a lot of it is quite easily feasible but some parts of it just scream BS to me.

Which makes me rather unsure as to the whole stories authenticity.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Motivation is the biggest cause for alarm since there is a lack of it in this case. Everything happens for a reason and here you don't see it (at least not clearly). Why use something so advanced on this guy? Should be noted though, usually Americans use the USB infection method.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    YFZblu wrote: »

Just came here to post this. Its pretty damning, except I had never seen nor heard of RootWyrm before this either...so who knows.

@YZFblu
    Are you on /r/netsec?
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I browse /r/netsec, but I've never posted