Options

Getting into the computer filed

joelroberts1002joelroberts1002 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm interested in seeking a career in the computer field and would like to know what is a good beginning certification to obtain. Also, if anyone has any resources that would help me transition into the computer world that would be fantastic. I don't have much experience in the field itself. I worked for a variety of banks as a teller and cash services. I majored in Mathematical Science but did not retain as much as I should have over the years. Does anyone think I have a shot at this type of career? I started learning Python as a hobby.

Comments

• Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For basic computer troubleshooting and McHelpdesk jobs you could start with the A+ certification offered by Comptia.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would start with the CompTIA certs to build a basic foundation knowledge (A+, Network+, Security+) then decide what path in IT you want to specialize in whether it's networking, security, database, systems/network administration. :)

Once you know the area you want to focus in it's much easier to determine what certs to go after:

Systems administration: Windows/Linux
    Networking: Cisco/Juniper
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63