Taking Exam In 2 Days - Final recommendations Pleasee!

KatiushaKatiusha Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Guys,

I am taking exam this Friday, very worried! I don't have any Networking experience or extensive knowledge. I've been using Darrill Gibson's book, but many practice tests online include questions that are very confusing and rather difficult.

Does anyone have any recommendations for the final two days before the exam? I would greatly appreciate your help and advice!

Thank you all!

Comments

• LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am taking my exam in two days as well, or 3. I have very limited actual hands on security experience. But I am taking lots of practice tests and writing down notes. I am making flash cards for lots of concepts that I am still unfamiliar with. Darril's book is very good from what I have read and from reviews, I am using his practice tests. Re-read his book if you havent, I am going to spend the next two days reading his book from start to finish, do his practice tests. He has 25 questions that are on the exam, that could be 25 questions you get right.

Don't overthink your stuff. It's not rocket science, all they want to know is if you have a 'grasp' of the concepts. You should do fine. Just remember, breath easily, and 1+1 = 2. Dont overthink questions.

You should do fine if you have read the book, done the questions and understand the concepts. I wish you the best of luck bud, report back your test results!
    Kindly doing the needful
  • tecketecke Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you studied well you will pass as there are no trick questions. Take your time and you will get it! Good luck.icon_cheers.gif
  • yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well... I would check, re-check and re-check again the network material then. Networking it's very important, in fact it is 21% of the exam and you can be pretty sure that you are going to have at least one performance question based on network security. Network security it's not hard, you just need to know well-known ports and the purpose of each device. Also remember to check common protocols ID (not ports!!!) List of IP protocol numbers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Basically remember ICMP 1, TCP 6, UDP 17, ESP 50 and AH 51.

That's my suggestion for these two days. Then my tip during the exam is, read, read, read, read and if still you are not sure, flag. Don't lose time on questions you're not sure.
  • Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Well, be careful with online practice questions from Google. Alot of the "practice" questions I got were verbatim on the actual test.
  • Disgruntled3lfDisgruntled3lf Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the exam a few months ago. With your lack of networking knowledge obviously you should focus your attention there. I would strongly recommend memorizing the common protocols and ports. Also while taking the test attention to detail is key. You may find a question tricky at first glance that a little logic would help you answer. Like the difference between SFTP and FTPS.
  • KatiushaKatiusha Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Guys, thank you so much for your help. I am trying to review all network material, and get ready. I have read Darrill Gibson's book, it is very useful but the practice questions include a lot of material that is not covered in the book. I will definitely report back after this Friday, so worried..
    Thank you again for your advice and support!
  • yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As Khaos1911 said, do not trust any questions you find on Google. A while ago, I asked if the questions found on some sites could be trusted, because they looked very bad and senseless, and the result was that indeed they were not recommended questions.

Take a look at http://www.techexams.net/forums/security/89654-these-exams-trustworthy.html
    Thank you all for your advice!
    I PASSED today! Got score of 795 icon_smile.gif
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Outstanding! Congratulations on the pass. Good luck with your next adventure.
    Thank you so much!
  • samurai86samurai86 Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    Bachelor's of Applied Science in Technology Management - Information Security Assurance (St. Petersburg College)
    Masters of Science in Digital Forensics (University of Central Florida)